LockedWindows 2003 Web Edition and MS SQL Server

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
YoWmc
2005/03/24 14:32:18 (permalink)

Windows 2003 Web Edition and MS SQL Server

Hello,

My primary HC server is installed on Windows 2003 Web Edition. I have another database server with Windows 2003 Standard Edition and MS SQL Server.

I have read in this forum that if I have SQL Server on secondary server, I also have to install Client Setup of SQL Server on primary server. But, I can¬t do that because it is not possible to install it on Windows 2003 Web Edition.

So, is there any workaround to make this SQL Server available as resource through HC?

18 Replies Related Threads

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Windows 2003 Web Edition and MS SQL Server 2005/03/28 03:28:58 (permalink)
    The SQL connection will not work unless client tools are availble on master server. The client tools are required to communicate with SQL on remote box. I don¬t know if there is any work around.
    oakleeman
    RE: Windows 2003 Web Edition and MS SQL Server 2005/03/28 16:05:02 (permalink)
    "I also have to install Client Setup of SQL Server on primary server."

Are these the same client tools (Enterprise Manager,Profiler, Query Analyzer, etc.) that can be installed on Windows XP? If it will install on XP I would think that it could install on the Web version.
    YoWmc
    RE: Windows 2003 Web Edition and MS SQL Server 2005/03/29 03:58:42 (permalink)
    I did not find any information on your web site, that HC requirement for remote SQL Server is Windows 2003 Standard Edition - it only says Windows 2003.

So, you are telling me that I have to handle MS SQL Server databases manually?
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Windows 2003 Web Edition and MS SQL Server 2005/03/29 15:12:06 (permalink)
    Microsoft has the limitation to support SQL Server with Web Edition Windows Server. Please check this URL for the refrence:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/web.mspx

Limitation:
    Organizations cannot use Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, to deploy Microsoft SQL Server™.

I am afraid due to the above limitation you have to manage your SQL Server manualy unless you move to Windows 2003 Standard or Enterprise Edition with SQL Server Client utilities.
    oakleeman
    RE: Windows 2003 Web Edition and MS SQL Server 2005/03/29 21:26:33 (permalink)
    Specifically which client tool does it utilize? Whenever I attempt to install SQL 2000 on WinXP, I get an error telling me that XP isn¬t supported and that I can only install the client tools. It goes ahead and completes the installation of the client tools and I¬m able to connect to and administer my remote SQL server.
    YoWmc
    RE: Windows 2003 Web Edition and MS SQL Server 2005/03/30 01:16:14 (permalink)
    On Windows Server 2003 Web Edition, it is not possible to install SQL Server Client tools. When you attempt to install SQL Server, you get message that you can¬t install anything, not even client tools.
    Dougk94
    RE: Windows 2003 Web Edition and MS SQL Server 2005/03/30 19:38:25 (permalink)
    A prime example of why I will never buy a ¬crippled¬ OS like web edition :) It is understandable for them to not allow SQL server on Web Edition, but I think they should allow you to install the client tools. Maybe HC can figure out a way to interact with the client tools on a remote SQL server.

It is not HC¬s fault, but MS licensing that is the drawback here. It ultimately is up to the host to do some research and planning before they purchase their OS and any type of addons to avoid any problems like this.
    YoWmc
    RE: Windows 2003 Web Edition and MS SQL Server 2005/03/30 23:29:48 (permalink)
    I was completely aware of Web Edition limitations, but I did not know that HC is unable to manage SQL Server on remote server, because it is not documented.

That¬s not issue of Web Edition, but HC - it is possible to connect and administer remote SQL Server on a lot of different ways, not only with Client tools.

I believe that, there are a lot of other people who use Web Edition, because, it has all of functionalites web server should have and it is exactly 15 times cheaper than Standard Edition.
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Windows 2003 Web Edition and MS SQL Server 2005/01/04 12:22:18 (permalink)
    If vendor Microsoft does not support Windows 2003 Web Edition with SQL Server then I don¬t think so there is any need to document this thing becuase it is already understood. I had mentioned before if you want to work with remote SQL Server through HC then SQL Server Client Utilities are must to install on HC Primary machine.

Coolness
    RE: Windows 2003 Web Edition and MS SQL Server 2006/03/30 09:19:03 (permalink)
    Hello,

According to Microsoft the following MS articles, there is way of doing this. Has anyone been successful yet?

Here is the error you get when installing the SQL Server Client Utilities: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=819258

However, here is how you can install SQL DMO without the Client Utilities: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326613
    and
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sqldmo/dmoref_con01_9xbn.asp

We have the sqldmo.dll registered but are getting:
    Error: 71400050 : Unable to perform action. Error: Unable to create the SQLServer object.
    nextmill
    RE: Windows 2003 Web Edition and MS SQL Server 2006/03/04 06:59:21 (permalink)
    Take a winxp or win2003 system, install WinInstallLE

http://downloads.ondemandsoftware.com/download/installs/wininstallle.exe

Run it and have it start capturing, then install SQL Client Tools, then stop the capture and save as the msi, copy it over to the Web Edition system and run the MSI.
    Samual
    RE: Windows 2003 Web Edition and MS SQL Server 2006/03/04 18:45:05 (permalink)
    Ok so I have done this and installed sql2000 client tools on the 2003 web box and I am still getting :

Error: 71400050 : Unable to perform action. Error: Unable to create the SQLServer object.

When I created the MSI for client tools I used the developer edition. Don¬t know if that will make a difference.

Update:

ok so I have been through msdn and got the info for installing sql-dmo without the client tools.
    I created a installer in visual studio using the files on my machine with the developer version installed. When installing this on my web server (which is 2003 web edition) I get the error sqldmo.dll cannot be registered.
    Well so what I do is grab the files off my win200 box which has sql server installed and used these to create a new installer and this one did not come up with a error.

Went to hc and tried to create a database and instead of getting the error : Unable to create the SQLServer object. I am getting Error: 71400050 : Unable to perform action. Error: unable to connect to database

All setting for the remote sql server are correct.

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Windows 2003 Web Edition and MS SQL Server 2006/04/04 13:24:54 (permalink)
    As Windows 2003 Web Server Edition has some limitations regarding SQL Server and now they support SQL Server Express 2005. I guess you should not use SQL 2000 Client Utilties on HC primary machine. Please make sure you have same SQL versions on HC primary as well as remote SQL Server machine. You might like to consult with this article for SQL connection error. It seems like you don¬t have correct ¬sa¬ password in HC Settings under SQL tab or this user does not have sufficient SQL Administrator privilleges.
    Samual
    RE: Windows 2003 Web Edition and MS SQL Server 2006/04/04 13:48:02 (permalink)
    I have now resolved this issue with window server 2003 web edition.

My implimentation of installing sql-dmo without the client tools works. The problem with connecting to the database I had was solved after looking at the asp scripts that create the database. They use the server name for the connection. I initially had it set to the machine name but it will not connect with that so I used the ip address instead.

The fact is that I have Sql database creation working on a windows 2003 server web edition.

I will post details of the solution if needed.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: