Lockediis virtual dirs

Author
Markrambis
2005/12/04 12:02:11 (permalink)

iis virtual dirs

hc does not let users add virtual sites (redirections etc). so we have to do it manually in IIS. So what if a disaster happens, I have to restore HC¬s backup and ALSO a recent IIS metafile that has this info?

thanks

10 Replies Related Threads

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: iis virtual dirs 2005/04/12 13:51:02 (permalink)
    What error does HC throw whenever user trying to add redirection URL? FYI RBX does not have any info. about Redirections.
    Markrambis
    RE: iis virtual dirs 2005/05/12 06:04:34 (permalink)
    Sir,

Not sure you understand what I mean. HC doesnt let web admins create a virtual directory and make it redirect to another address.

It has been said here that we have to do this directly in IIS.

The problem is lets say I use Rebuildxpress for my backups. These virtual redirections will not be in Rebuildxpress. So what do you recommend? Somehow make a backup of metabase also every time RBX runs? So in case of a disaster I restore using RBX + restore Metabase file?

Thank you.
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: iis virtual dirs 2005/05/12 11:18:56 (permalink)
    I am afraid you have to add them manually one by one because It is the limitation of IIS that you can not restore any of IIS webserver¬s metabase file on new machine.
    Markrambis
    RE: iis virtual dirs 2005/05/12 12:15:10 (permalink)
    argh... well its something i guess for all of us to be aware of... write down all virtual dirs with redirection you create in IIS.

so maybe its a reason for HC to support this feature :) so Rebuildxpress can back it up also...

Thank you.
    YoWmc
    RE: iis virtual dirs 2005/06/12 01:55:10 (permalink)
    IIS metabase can be restored on new machine, if metabase backup is protected with password:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/0bce58b9-3c34-46ad-89da-a2082f48dd9b.mspx
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: iis virtual dirs 2005/12/12 13:17:01 (permalink)
    Its for IIS 6.0 only, do you have any suggestion for IIS 5.0?
    YoWmc
    RE: iis virtual dirs 2005/12/15 05:03:46 (permalink)
    Well, it¬s true. I am not sure about IIS5, but have you considered to use some third party tools for this - maybe IIS Export Utility can help (http://www.adsonline.co.uk/IISExport/).
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: iis virtual dirs 2005/12/15 08:49:32 (permalink)
    I am sorry at the moment we can not integrate any third party tool with HC but we will definitely try to find some work around. Thank you very much for all your info.
    Markrambis
    RE: iis virtual dirs 2005/12/17 06:05:50 (permalink)
    HC,

you mean a workaround so when we restore HC using Rebuild or so, virtual dirs and other things that we set up directly in IIS we will be able to restore?

Right now we can use Rebuildxpress and after restore metabase with a tool like IIsexport?
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: iis virtual dirs 2005/12/19 12:02:11 (permalink)
    I am not sure about this third party tool but with HC it is not supported to restore virtual directories due to some limitations of IIS.
    Jump to: