LockedLog rotation questions

Author
kieranmullen
Premium Member
2006/04/17 07:34:47 (permalink)

Log rotation questions

I was wondering would it make more sense and be cleaner alltogether if you zipped all the stats for a designated period together instead of separate archives?

ie 30 days = 30 archives instead of one.

If you must zip each day at a time surely you would be able to add to an existing archive.

Could you add the following Log Rotation Conditions? Weeks, months, hours?

Thanks
KM

6 Replies Related Threads

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Log rotation questions 2006/04/18 05:40:43 (permalink)
    Stats are generated on daily basis so it does not make any sense to rotate them on hourly/weekly basis.
    kieranmullen
    Premium Member
    RE: Log rotation questions 2006/04/18 06:06:20 (permalink)
    Well this is if you had a really busy site one would go into IIS and change generation to hourly.

Weekly would have nothing to do with hourly.

And the question about why each day is made into a separate archive instead of just making one archive for the designated period by adding to an existing on or waiting till specified period has been reached to add to one archive was not addresed...

I would make it much cleaner. Expecially if you had to go back and obtain stats for a month to reprocess them throughanother program. You could unzip onearchive instead of 29-31 separate archives...

KM

hgurol
    RE: Log rotation questions 2006/04/18 06:16:12 (permalink)
    Yes it would be a lot more useful to have 1 zip archive for the entire month instead of having 1 zip archive for each day of the month. An additional option for this would be very good.

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Log rotation questions 2006/04/18 13:04:22 (permalink)
    We have considered it as feature request.
    redbaran
    Premium Member
    RE: Log rotation questions 2006/04/18 19:52:57 (permalink)
    I have one to add to this.

How about the option either at webadmin or site level to be able to select if you want the logs zipped, zipped and emailed or just deleted.

This has irritated some of my customers because we only have the option at the reseller level and they are tired of getting emails every day with there zipped up log files which they don¬t need. although some of the customers want this and there is no way change this.

Rick
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Log rotation questions 2006/04/20 07:34:47 (permalink)
    Yes I am agreed with you whenever we get a change that option would be provided. Thank you for your feedback.
    Jump to: