LockedDCOM Problem

Author
oakleeman
2006/04/17 11:57:06 (permalink)

DCOM Problem

Is there a way to test if DCOM is working properly or not?

We have our mail server and web server on different systems with real world IPs. We are not yet able to afford a physical firewall and these two systems were unable to talk to each other if the Windows firewall was enabled.

After searching the web, I found some websites stating that you can specify which ports DCOM uses and then allow those ports through your Windows firewall. Instructions can be found here and here.

This seemed to work as we could have the Windows firewall enabled and both systems could communicate. We were able to create/edit mailboxes and domains.

At some point this quit working and I thought that it was due to our upgrading MailEnable to V1.2 and that the problem was on our mail server. We just ignored the problem for a while and used the MailEnable control panel to edit mail domains and accounts.

Now whenever I try to create a new mail domain via HC it almost immediately tells me that the domain was created successfully and never acts like it is trying to connect to the mail server. I can confirm that it never makes the connection using TCPView from sysinternals.com even without the firewalls turned on. Whenever I try to edit domain mailboxes, I get the "You do not have enough quota" error. The HCDcomclient.csv file has not been modified for a couple months on either server.

I have checked the Dcomcnfg settings as specified in the KB.

Suggestions?

5 Replies Related Threads

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: DCOM Problem 2006/04/18 13:00:40 (permalink)
    Well we don¬t recommend to enable "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service" which may protect your primary machine to send remote request to secondary machines on the same LAN. Please consult with this article which may help you to fix that problem. If you are using any third party firewal then this article will explain you about common firewal settings. Here are some important things which should be checked on all machines:

1- All of your machines are located under the similar LAN and connected to the same Router.
    2- If you are using NAT then you have provided private IPs in HC Settings and mapped them with external IPs at hcadmin level under this option My Server--->IIS--->NAT Manager.

3- You can "traecrt" IPs in 1 hop.
    4- Your webadmin has sufficient quota of mail domains/boxes in purchased plan.

If your issue is still there then I would suggest you to contact with our online live chat support 24 * 6. Thanx
    oakleeman
    RE: DCOM Problem 2006/04/20 19:27:59 (permalink)
    8. Register HCDcomClient.dll by giving the following command on both machines.
    *X\dll\regsvr32 HCDComClient.dll
    C:\Program Files\Advanced Communications\Hosting Controller

This step appears to have fixed the problem, however the above command is wrong.

Didn¬t work: C:\Program Files\Advanced Communications\Hosting Controller\dll\regsvr32 HCDComClient.dll

Did work: regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Advanced Communications\Hosting Controller\dll\HCDComClient.dll"

I didn¬t have to disable the Windows firewall on either machine, just opened the DCOM ports that I specified.

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: DCOM Problem 2006/04/21 12:48:28 (permalink)
    There is no problem with this command ( *X\dll\regsvr32 HCDComClient.dll ) I can run it on my machine. First you have to move into DLL folder at command prompt. Here it is:

C:\Program Files\Advanced Communications\Hosting Controller\dll>regsvr32 HCDcomClient.dll

Regarding your 2nd question we only support shared SSL not dedicated for each individual site. I have already explained you about NAT. All you have to map your external IPs with internal at hcadmin level and confgiure your router for NAT yourself and make sure DCOM and Mail Enable related ports are opened in the firewall. You have to provide internal IPs in HC Settings for Mail. If you want to keep Mail Enable on remote machine then I am afraid HC would not able to create MeAdmin & MeWebAdmin virtual directories becuase you have sites on local machine web server.
    oakleeman
    RE: DCOM Problem 2006/04/21 19:23:53 (permalink)
    Support,

Please don¬t edit my posts to include other posts that do not pertain to this topic.

"There is no problem with this command ( *X\dll\regsvr32 HCDComClient.dll ) I can run it on my machine. First you have to move into DLL folder at command prompt. Here it is:

C:\Program Files\Advanced Communications\Hosting Controller\dll>regsvr32 HCDcomClient.dll"

I was just following the steps laid out in the KB article that you linked to. If that¬s how you want users to issue the command, then you should be more precise in the directions and state that it needs to be ran via command prompt from that directory.

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: DCOM Problem 2006/01/05 11:57:06 (permalink)
    ok, we will try to improve the quality of our articles. Most of the articles will be re-written for HC v7.0. Thanx
    Jump to: