LockedPiece of crap

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
oakleeman
2007/01/21 00:27:25 (permalink)

Piece of crap

This new version of HC is crap. I'm trying to install it on a new server 2003 install and having nothing but problems. First off I want to use an SQL 2000 database on a different server. Never in the install does it say that it can't be installed on a separate server, just tells me "completed". Never could login and yes I have the SQL connectivity tools installed.

After 3 re-installs I decided to try the MSDE version. It too refuses to work. Keep seeing all kinds of SQL errors in the install log and don't see any tables added to the. Now I'm just trying to get the darn thing off so I can go back to 6.1. Especially after reading more and seeing that it's gonna cost me 550 to upgrade since I have dedicated servers for databases and e-mail.

21 Replies Related Threads

oakleeman
    RE: Piece of crap 2007/01/21 00:31:16 (permalink)
    GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm getting an error while trying to uninstall:

Component transfer error
    Component: Hosting Controller
    File Group:
    File:
    Error: Catastrophic Failure

Dhosting.co.uk
    Premium Member
    RE: Piece of crap 2007/01/21 04:08:01 (permalink)
    Sounds like your having a bad time.

Uninstall doesnt seem to work now we wanted to reinstall hc7 so i had to delete the hc install info from C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information then i could reinstall. There is a article on hc site for manual uninstall.

DB on remote server is an issue, we were thinking about adding a dedicated db server for performance reasons but hc doesnt support it unless you install the master server on your db server. Which can be done etc.

Watch out hc7 deactivates hc6 at midnight every night!

www.Dwebs.ltd.uk - Web Design & Other Services
    My views are my own and not those of my company.
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Piece of crap 2007/01/22 03:11:43 (permalink)
    @oakleeman

Did you consult with this article? It might be possible HC is not the reason please follow instrcutions mentioned in it and make sure SQL Server service is running on your machine.

Sometimes in specific scenario HC is throwing "Catastrophic Failure" on uninstall. This is already forwarded to the developers and they are working on it. You might like to consult with this FAQ.

@Dhosting.co.uk

Master Server is the first Web Server added in the cluster. It is not essential to have HC database on it. You can have HC Database on any of the server within the cluster. HC7 deactivation issue has been fixed in Build 5 which is expected very soon.

+1-213-341-1419
    oakleeman
    RE: Piece of crap 2007/01/24 21:40:35 (permalink)
    I got a few hours sleep and then followed the directions in the KB to remove the corrupt install. I then went ahead and installed MS-SQL on this server before attempting to install HC7.

I've had a couple of days to work with it now and have a couple of questions:

1. Global settings>Database server: there is a check box to enable both MySQL and MS-SQL databases. When you add a new server there is simply a checkbox to state that it is a database server, it doesn't let you specify what kind. With this configuration it looks like you have to run both MS-SQL and MySQL on the same server, is this true?

2. In the global settings the type of forums, blogs, e-commerce, etc. all get hardset by the server admin, the web admin can't choose which he wants to install? Is this considered the "one-click-installer" that we have to pay extra for or is this just the basic offering and once the add-on key has been entered the web admin can choose from any of the applications?

More will come later.

Dhosting.co.uk
    Premium Member
    RE: Piece of crap 2007/01/25 01:46:19 (permalink)
    1. Database server hc have been told about this by multiple people, no all db servers will hae both mssql and mysql, also to consider is not all providers will just have one mysql version, i believe hc are working on this and any improvment will not be until the next update in feb at a guess.

2. Exactly why people will not buy the click and install, i dont see you would want only one ecomerce app out of 2 to be available, we dont have it installed it could just be a default but i doubt it!

oakleeman
    RE: Piece of crap 2007/01/26 16:43:08 (permalink)
    So, some functionality is lost. Some features don't work right. And it cost considerably more....

Why should we upgrade?

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Piece of crap 2007/01/27 11:27:06 (permalink)
    @oakleeman

. Global settings>Database server: there is a check box to enable both MySQL and MS-SQL databases. When you add a new server there is simply a checkbox to state that it is a database server, it doesn't let you specify what kind. With this configuration it looks like you have to run both MS-SQL and MySQL on the same server, is this true?

It will be fixed in Build 6.

2. In the global settings the type of forums, blogs, e-commerce, etc. all get hardset by the server admin, the web admin can't choose which he wants to install? Is this considered the "one-click-installer" that we have to pay extra for or is this just the basic offering and once the add-on key has been entered the web admin can choose from any of the applications?

Thanks for your suggestion we have fowarded it to R&D dept.

3. So, some functionality is lost. Some features don't work right. And it cost considerably more....

Why should we upgrade?

Have you installed latest build 5 on your machine which is more stable..

@Dhosting.co.uk

Database server hc have been told about this by multiple people, no all db servers will hae both mssql and mysql, also to consider is not all providers will just have one mysql version, i believe hc are working on this and any improvment will not be until the next update in feb at a guess.

Yes we have to implement it in this way.

+1-213-341-1419
    Dhosting.co.uk
    Premium Member
    RE: Piece of crap 2007/01/27 14:12:17 (permalink)
    I assume you mean you have to d both mysql and mssql forced on all boxes?

Or did you not mean that HC?

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Piece of crap 2007/01/29 10:44:28 (permalink)
    If you have set role for any server in the cluster as Database Server then HC will not force to configure both SQL / MySQL. You can use both or any of them.

+1-213-341-1419
    Dhosting.co.uk
    Premium Member
    RE: Piece of crap 2007/01/29 12:11:29 (permalink)
    Er i dont see any option which says no to mysql.

So if im correct i add one server with mssql and mysql then second server with only mysql.

If i dont set mssql on the second box will this not cause mssql db's to be added to either box i.e. your lovely load balancing.

Would be nice if hc could clear this up by adding a tick box, enable mysql on this server or mssql then were happy and no confusion

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Piece of crap 2007/01/31 08:50:11 (permalink)
    HC7 build 6 will provide a combo box with different options e.g Both MSSQL and MySQL, MSSQL Only, MySQL Only and you will have to provide information accordingly for each Server. Load Balancing will be done among those servers whom have same role and database type selected for above combo box.

+1-213-341-1419
    Dhosting.co.uk
    Premium Member
    RE: Piece of crap 2007/01/31 08:53:03 (permalink)
    What about different versions of mysql sorry to be a pain he he

One server has mysql 4 one server has mysql 5 or both on one etc.

Its becomming more common for multiple mysql versions

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Piece of crap 2007/01/31 09:16:04 (permalink)
    We will support different mySQL versions after Build 6 with manual load balancing option. In case if someone does not want to use HC7 automatic load balancing then host will have options to configure USERS according to different mySQL versions. Moreover, end USER will also have option to create mySQL db according to different mySQL versions.

Please note that HC7 load balancing is currently based on number of databases,websites and users.

+1-213-341-1419
    Dhosting.co.uk
    Premium Member
    RE: Piece of crap 2007/01/31 10:35:41 (permalink)
    Sounds good :)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: