LockedName based FTP servers x IP based.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
FL-ex
Premium Member
2010/07/12 16:12:26 (permalink)

Name based FTP servers x IP based.

Hello everyone,

I think as most hosts probably, most of our customers have shared IP.

Its a bit confusing for them, as in Domains, they see FTP SITES (which is IP based) and name based FTP (shared IP). Its  a bit confusing for users.

What do you guys think of a feature where, if user has just name based FTP, just show it, dont show the shared IP icon...

Thanks.

15 Replies Related Threads

patrick
    Premium Member
    Re:Name based FTP servers x IP based. 2010/07/27 05:03:32 (permalink)
    Well I think under webadmin HC should change
    User Accounts with " FTP account ".

User account is bit confusing for most of webadmin, so better to change it with ' FTP accounts '
    FL-ex
    Premium Member
    Re:Name based FTP servers x IP based. 2010/07/27 16:03:12 (permalink)
    Hi,

Right now AFAIK the terminology is FTP SITES and FTP USERS.

Its a bit confusing, I agree. For example, I just checked a Webadmin, it has 1 FTP USER which is my login to panel, it uses same username as panel access. But if you go to General/user manager it shows 0 users. Kind of strange... Why doesnt the panel user appear in User manager.

Anyways, my original idea was about making it clearer regarding SHARED IP FTP (FTP USERS) versus FTP that has its own IP (FTP SITES). After all how are users supposted to know the difference.

IMHO would be neat, if user doesnt have his dedicated IP, to show just the SHARED IP FTP and maybe label it FTP or so....

Thanks

patrick
    Premium Member
    Re:Name based FTP servers x IP based. 2010/07/28 00:19:41 (permalink)
    I think HC is the only control panel which create default ftp user same as webadmin name.
    Other control panel don't create default ftp user, but I like the HC format as normally when new user setup atleast they should have ftp access unless their domain propagate.

We are hoping that HC will modify the ftp module at webadmin level, which we are expecting in build9 :)
    FL-ex
    Premium Member
    Re:Name based FTP servers x IP based. 2010/12/08 14:05:55 (permalink)
    HC Team,

Can you please comment?

Thanks!
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    Re:Name based FTP servers x IP based. 2010/12/09 12:09:18 (permalink)
    Well by changing existing ftp implementation could confuse the customer. Suggestion provided by Patrick looks more prominent to change the name of " User manager " under webadmin with " FTP User ". This will reduce the confusion atleast at webadmin section.
    If you agree with this then I can forward the request to concern department.
    FL-ex
    Premium Member
    Re:Name based FTP servers x IP based. 2010/12/10 08:09:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for fast reply. So you mean in General/User manager, call it FTP USERS instead of MY USERS? But that user is also, at least the 1st one, the panel user, no? So calling it FTP user can be confusing. Maybe some text explanaining?

But what I really though could be done is eliminate confusion in General/domains. Since user sees FTP SITES and FTP USERS, but since 99% are shared IP, they have to use FTP USERS, but they have no idea about that. Would be neat if HC could auto hide FTP site and shows just FTP users, if customer has shared IP.

Regards!
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    Re:Name based FTP servers x IP based. 2010/12/10 12:29:52 (permalink)
    Considering suggestion of this post we have scheduled internal meeting at next week to discuss the overall enhancement of ftp manager.
    Whatever it will decide by management we will publish on forum to receive HC customer opinion.
    FL-ex
    Premium Member
    Re:Name based FTP servers x IP based. 2011/05/28 08:10:40 (permalink)
    Hi, HC

what was decided on this?

Thanks.
    HC Staff
    HC Staff
    Re:Name based FTP servers x IP based. 2011/05/30 12:01:28 (permalink)
    FTP user implementation will remain same as it as in version 8, but if there any positive feedback then we will consider modification in future HC version.
    rubel.zomuddar
    Re:Name based FTP servers x IP based. 2011/10/19 03:14:09 (permalink)
    Hello everyone,
    I think as most hosts probably, most of our customers have shared IP.
    Its a bit confusing for them, as in Domains, they see FTP  Setup.
    FL-ex
    Premium Member
    Re:Name based FTP servers x IP based. 2011/10/20 11:59:47 (permalink)
    Hi, Rubel

Exactly, I also think it surely could improve. Its very confusing :( If you get a few not so experienced users (even experienced ones), they wont understand and know how to manage FTP.

The USERS link in panel refers actually to FTP users and not panel users... But only additional FTP users appear here, the primary one created with domain doesnt. And they both appear in domains/FTP users.

and then inside DOMAINS as you said there are 2 FTPs, FTP sites and FTP users. Perhaps it could even be hide the dedicated Ip one if user doesnt have dedicated IP. Or label it clearly like "Shared IP FTP", "Dedicated IP FTP".

Hope it can somehow improve and be clearer to end users...

Thanks.
    FL-ex
    Premium Member
    Re:Name based FTP servers x IP based. 2011/11/04 16:44:09 (permalink)
    Dear HC,

Please comment this one? The add on is called User accounts, but actually its not panel users, rather FTP users... Confusing...

Thanks.
    HC Staff
    HC Staff
    Re:Name based FTP servers x IP based. 2011/11/14 06:47:37 (permalink)
    In next upcoming HC9 version we are going to change the User manager section and this will answered all above queries.
    In which we are differentiate control panel user and FTP users. Webadmin will consider be a control panel user and will not create in the system. And with every new website HC will create new ftp user and this user will create in the system.

FL-ex
    Premium Member
    Re:Name based FTP servers x IP based. 2011/11/14 14:27:25 (permalink)
    Great news, Tahir. Thanks for listening to us.

Regards
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: