Lockedparked domain vs. host header?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
agermose
2010/12/08 00:32:17 (permalink)

parked domain vs. host header?

what is the difference between hosted domain and a parked domain.

In my understanding :

A parked domain adds the domain and subdomain www to the list of domains the website should respond to and also creates a dns zone. Its a domain different from the website maindomain and the DNS zone is added because its considered that you are the owner and by parking you are also saying "this is my domain and I want it handled also for DNS".

A "host header" on the other hand is simply saying "let the website also respond to this sub domain". It might be a subdomain of the website main domain or a subdomain of some completly different domain that might not even be mine or hosted on my DNS serveres. For sure, no DNS zone is created in any case - else it would be a parked domain, correct?

17 Replies Related Threads

patrick
    Premium Member
    Re:parked domain vs. host header? 2010/12/09 12:30:21 (permalink)
    Technically there is no difference at all.. What I can see is
    • Both add host header in the website in IIS Manager
    • Both add separate Dns zone file in the dns manager

In older HC version there was no option with name Parked domain it has been added in HC8 version. Maybe it is for those customers who are familiar with cpanel where this option frequently use.
    agermose
    Re:parked domain vs. host header? 2010/12/09 12:38:17 (permalink)
    yes, my point exacly except I was hoping to get a response from HC before getting to this point - as you state, there is no difference in the implementation, so the question is why have two names for the same, UNLESS :) You / HC would agree that it would be brilliant if they would accept the difference I propose and would hope others to also find logical.

if you have a function "add a parked domain" it seams logical I mean "Im hosting the domain so also create a DNS zone". But if you have a function where you say "im going to add a host header for you, just let me know what host header you want", then it should do JUST that - add a host header, DONT add/create a DNS zone.

Because its a much needed feature - the ability to add a host header AND NOTHING else :) so Im hoping that You will agree with this and help push HC to implement this difference instead of the current
    patrick
    Premium Member
    Re:parked domain vs. host header? 2010/12/09 12:48:09 (permalink)
    But if you have a function where you say "im going to add a host header for you, just let me know what host header you want", then it should do JUST that - add a host header, DONT add/create a DNS zone.

But Agermose if we create only host header under a domain in a IIS without making its entry in the dns zone file then how it suppose to work.
    For example I need to add webmail host header in the domain to access the mail url and make HOST A entry in the domain dns zone to make it workable. Without having entry in the dns zone file webmail.domain.com will not work.

Also I will wait for HC response if they also confirm that Host Header & Parked domain are totally same then they should remove one of them.

dexter737
    Re:parked domain vs. host header? 2010/12/11 06:49:45 (permalink)
    Thanks
    agermose
    Re:parked domain vs. host header? 2010/12/13 01:09:24 (permalink)
    They are not totally the same - they work as expected when the domain you are handling is already your own.

if you have a website "mydomain.com" and you want it to also handle "tmp.mydomain.com" and you add this as a extra "host header" it does what you would expect. It adds a hostheader to the IIS or apache server and updates YOUR already EXISTING dns zone file.

This cannot be different.

The point where HC and my ideas/views differ are on the case where its a different domain than the "main domain of the website" - in this case "mydomain.com".

And I would like to point out - im not saying its a bug - HC decided it should work in one way, Im just raising the question is it logical and should it be like this or could we request a "make over" :)

my logic is this. If I want the site to have a alias/handle also an other domain "my2domain.com" then I go to "park a domain" and then HC handles both as where they one. It automaticly adds host headers and creates a DNS zone and it shows up in the DNS zone list and I can handle both. Nice (except for the missing aliasing of MAIL - hint, hint, hint - when will this be in HC!? :D )

BUUUUUT, but, but... when I want to add a host header... just listen to the words :) "add a host header" - then please just add a host header. Again, if I wanted it to both add a host header AND create a DNS zone I would have used the other function in HC - park a domain.
    HC has a "add a host header" so Im sort of expecting it to do just that - add a host header and nothing else. Maybe its just my logic?

Problem is - "add JUST a host header" is VERY usefull so its a real shame its not "add JUST a host header" but an other name for parked domain.

So Im hoping to raise debate on this function and maybe HC will change it into TWO different fuctions like this to make it more usable.

So, not to scare off HC - its not a bugreport, its a hope of raising an interest in changing the implementation to a more meaning full implementation that actually logically also lives up to the name of the feature :)
    renhack
    Re:parked domain vs. host header? 2010/12/13 05:21:22 (permalink)
    I agree.   Host headers should not be adding DNS records.   Thats what parking is for.   We often use an outside development domain on sites.  We assign it so the site can be viewed while in development.  HC does not provide DNS for our development domain (we only use it in certain situations).  We dont need the DNS, we just need the hostheader.

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    Re:parked domain vs. host header? 2010/12/13 11:45:52 (permalink)
    Both host header and parked domain their functionality is almost same. A minor change is with host header you can add a domain with any name i.e www2.domain.com  (unique name just for example )
    But with Parked domain you can't add a entry with www2 (unique name )

Parked domain feature was included in HC few months ago by receiving many requests from HC customer.

Right now I am afraid we can't either remove host header option or  change option to create the zone file. Since large number of HC customer using this feature. Few customer request don't justify to change the implementation.

renhack
    Re:parked domain vs. host header? 2010/12/13 11:54:27 (permalink)
    For host header we dont want any kind of zone file.   No DNS entry or modification at all.   
    watson
    Re:parked domain vs. host header? 2010/12/13 12:01:39 (permalink)
    No way, HC please don't change the host header implementation. My customers are using it since HC6.1 version if you change it then it would be difficult for me to answer their question.

andy
    Re:parked domain vs. host header? 2010/12/13 12:09:08 (permalink)
    Yeah no changes please
    agermose
    Re:parked domain vs. host header? 2010/12/13 12:51:09 (permalink)
    e
    watson

No way, HC please don't change the host header implementation. My customers are using it since HC6.1 version if you change it then it would be difficult for me to answer their question.

can I ask - how are they using it?
    watson
    Re:parked domain vs. host header? 2010/12/13 13:04:25 (permalink)
    Mostly a hosted companies have multiple domain extension .com,.net, .co,.uk.net,.biz etc
    they simply add them using host header under the primary domain like
    www.domain.biz
    domain.biz
    www.domain.ca
    domain.ca
    www.domain.co.uk
    domain.co.uk

If there is  no dns zone then these domains will not work.
    agermose
    Re:parked domain vs. host header? 2010/12/13 13:28:45 (permalink)
    ah, yes, but my point is that this is actually exacly what "parked domain" does / also does - so you have two names for the same feature and the "host header" does more than the name implies.

I understand that experienced webadmins would need to learn the "new name", but its not like Im at all suggesting that the feature "parked domain" should not be there.

You could even do it like this - simply have a checkbox when adding a host header "do you need DNS zone". No name confusion, backwards comp. and you would get the solution where you would not need/want the DNS zone.

actually the problem is extended because in the current implementation its not just adding the host header you actually asked for but also the 2. level domain

if you enter "tmp" and "myresellerdomain.com" its adding both "tmp.myresellerdomain.com" AND "myresellerdomain.com" AND the dns zone for "myresellerdomain.com" - and all the issues you can imagine comming from this.

anyway
    watson
    Re:parked domain vs. host header? 2010/12/13 13:32:12 (permalink)
    I don't know what issue would be if host header create dns zone file. But sound good to me if panel provide option allow/disallow dns zone creation.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: