LockedCopy DNS zones from MS Primary to Linux Secondary

Author
redbaran
Premium Member
2011/03/11 11:58:28 (permalink)

Copy DNS zones from MS Primary to Linux Secondary

Hello everyone,.

I wanted to through this out there and see if anyone has any suggestions. We have been using HC for some time now with just a windows server and added a Linux server about a year ago. At the time that I added the Linux server we did not enable Bind and the Linux server was not used as a secondary server. I have just gone back and enabled the Bind and configured the Linux server to be a secondary server but have one issue. The Linux server currently has none of the zones that are on the Primary server. HC support said that any zones that where created before the Linux server was enabled will not be copied over just new ones. After some research I am not finding any real clear way to copy the zones over to the Linux server from the windows server and wanted to see if anyone else might have  some suggestions? We do have some zones that are not part of the HC hosting so anything that would do a sync from Windows to Linux would be great.

Thx in advanced!

4 Replies Related Threads

patrick
    Premium Member
    Re:Copy DNS zones from MS Primary to Linux Secondary 2011/03/11 13:20:38 (permalink)
    I don't think cross platform Dns server have ability to transfer zone automatically. Its only possible if you using windows dns (MS) on both machine, but not on bind linux.
    renhack
    Re:Copy DNS zones from MS Primary to Linux Secondary 2011/03/12 07:33:17 (permalink)
    That's not entirely true.  I'm sure that HC probably doesn't support a mixed environment but you really don't need HC for slave DNS servers anyway.   Bind will work perfectly fine as a slave DNS server to WinDNS.  Just do some googling and you'll find a ton of walkthroughs.   WinDNS Active Directory environments are a little more tricky.  Just make sure you are searching for the proper setup.
    jarhaa
    Re:Copy DNS zones from MS Primary to Linux Secondary 2011/04/04 00:21:41 (permalink)
    Hi!
    I have made powershell script which imports dns zones from AD integrated dns server to text file called named.conf. I have seperate scripts which moves named.conf file to bind secondarys and restarts bind.

You have to rename dns.txt to dns.ps1

/Jarmo Haaranen
    rubel.zomuddar
    Re:Copy DNS zones from MS Primary to Linux Secondary 2011/10/19 03:18:00 (permalink)
    Hello everyone,
    I wanted to through this out there and see if anyone has any suggestions. I have tried and succeeded in setting up Linux as Primary DNS Server ... a Secondary Linux DNS server to automatically pull/update zones from a ... zone transfers between Unix/Linux and AD at microsoft.com
    Jump to: