LockedYour opinion on user impersonation in HC

Author
FL-ex
Premium Member
2012/03/28 11:10:46 (permalink)

Your opinion on user impersonation in HC

Dear friends,

Id like your opinion on this topic, please. Its not a big deal, but I found that when you impersonate some webadmin while logged as resadmin, for example, if you do it more then once (for 2 different web admins), due to browser behaviour cookies, etc. HC gets confused, lets say. I reply a ticket as resadmin and it shows "reply by user xxx", one of the users I impersonated logged as resadmin.

I dont believe in this case it sends email to the wrong user, etc. However, its a bit troublesome, I have to inform all my colleagues here at work "do never impersonate a user twice, first close browser, reopen" or "in that case use 2 browsers".

HC sees it as a browser issue, I can understand... Anyways, my idea is...

To create some type of way to send a ticket "on behalf" of user via resadmin. We wouldnt have to log as the user and put the ticket as the user (which is kind of incorrect, specially because it shows Last reply by USER when actually it was resadmin opening a ticket in the user's login).

It would solve the browser issue and also give us something better...

What do you think?

Thanks,
Flávio
LucaNet

3 Replies Related Threads

HC Staff
    HC Staff
    Re:Your opinion on user impersonation in HC 2012/04/02 10:23:00 (permalink)
    Luca2
     Dear friends,
     Id like your opinion on this topic, please. Its not a big deal, but I found that when you impersonate some webadmin while logged as resadmin, for example, if you do it more then once (for 2 different web admins), due to browser behaviour cookies, etc. HC gets confused, lets say. I reply a ticket as resadmin and it shows "reply by user xxx", one of the users I impersonated logged as resadmin.
    Thanks,
    Flávio
    LucaNet

When you access HC panel under any user level then it create a ASP.NET session. ASP.NET session state enables you to store and retrieve values for a user as the user navigates the different ASP.NET pages that make up a Web application. HTTP is a stateless protocol, meaning that your Web server treats each HTTP request for a page as an independent request; by default, the server retains no knowledge of variable values used during previous requests. As a result, building Web applications that need to maintain some cross-request state information (applications that implement shopping carts, data scrolling, and so on) can be a challenge. 
    Such problem wouldn't appear for End customers (webadmin) but will create confusion if you access panel under Host or reseller. If you really need to access HC panel URL multiple times on a same machine at same time then best option would be to access it using different Browsers (I.E/FireFox/Chrome)

FL-ex
    Premium Member
    Re:Your opinion on user impersonation in HC 2012/04/03 18:45:35 (permalink)
    Ok, thanks. But there could be a way out as I explained... Did you see my comments? If you created some feature to open on behalf of user, without having to log as the user, it would also fix another issue, where it shows, if I open a ticket logged as the user, that the user opened the ticket in the respective colum of who answered last, and actually its resadmin.

Cant you consider it?

Also, I have the impression the issue happens logging just once. Im logged as resadmin, I then log as a webadmin impersonating. I go back to resadmin, reply a ticket. It shows "responded by webadmin user (the one I had logged as)".

Its just a bit too confusing to have to tell my colleagues at work so many particularities. Dont log twice in same browser, etc... Induces to error.

Anyways, Ill try to deal with it.

Thanks.
    FL-ex
    Premium Member
    Re:Your opinion on user impersonation in HC 2012/09/01 09:46:22 (permalink)
    Tahir,

The problem is really annoying, as much as I tell my colleagues at work, it still happens, tickets appear with wrong username because person had impersonated resadmin before/other user...

Pls, can you consider a mechanism to avoid this from happening? See my last post.

Thanks
    Jump to: