LockedGeneral MS FTP Question

Author
Shaneman
Starting Member
2004/03/25 00:09:25 (permalink)

General MS FTP Question

I¬ve never used MS FTP in a hosting environment. As I¬ve always done everything manually, I liked being able to create a new user and explicitly point them to thier WWW directory and deny them access to anything above it... WARFTP has a function called "Freeze Mount Point" .. could never figure out how to do that type of thing in MS FTP so I abandoned it back in the NT 4 days.

We have some clients that need FTP access to their \www directory.. and then give their developers/sub contractors FTP access to \www\projects.. or clients access to \www\clients\clientname for uploading assets etc..

Can this be done in a HC environment?

6 Replies Related Threads

Dean
    Premium Member
    RE: General MS FTP Question 2004/03/25 13:04:12 (permalink)
    The question isn¬t exactly clear. When you say "above" the www directory do you mean hierarchically? There is not much above www (within the webadmin¬s folder structure).

If you need to get granular about directory access try using serv-u. There is more control over users and directory access.
    Shaneman
    Starting Member
    RE: General MS FTP Question 2004/03/25 23:14:00 (permalink)
    E:\Websites
    --- \projects
    --- \project1
    --- compsheet.html
    --- videodemo.html
    --- \project2
    --- \clientsite1
    --- \clientsite2
    --- \www
    --- \images
    --- \flash
    --- default.aspx
    --- \uploads
    --- \stats
    --- \DB

Our developers (group) would need FTP access to \Websites

Client2 developer would need FTP to \Websites\clientsite2\uploads

Subcontractor would need FTP to \Websites\Projects\Project1

but client2 developer and subcontractor wouldn¬t be able to browse above their given directories...

that¬s the kinda thing I do in WARFTP now..
    create a specific user.. dictate their "home" within the directory structure.. lock them in there

or.. create a new user in our developer group.. which defaults to \websites

just wondering if I can go in and do specific stuff like that in an HC environment. MS FTP always scared me to death because of it¬s "open" nature.

ghcjeff
    Starting Member
    RE: General MS FTP Question 2004/03/26 00:01:06 (permalink)
    I don¬t think this can be done in HC itself, but you can do it in MS FTP.

If you already have the useraccount, just create a Virtual Directory with the username then give it the path to the folder you want them to access.

I did this myself so I have full access to my server.
    Shaneman
    Starting Member
    RE: General MS FTP Question 2004/02/05 15:23:36 (permalink)
    This is leaning towards off topic, since you said I¬d have to do it manually.. and I hate to sound this ignorant, but I¬ve never used MS FTP.. so.. bear with me.

So when we are trying to close a deal and I need to give 2 developers (Joe Asp and Flash Kid) quick access to www.somesite.com/somedir/somesubdir but I want to lock them into /somsubdir ... how do I do that?

What about if I need to do /somesubdir/joea and /somesubdir/flashk and lock them in there..?
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: General MS FTP Question 2004/05/05 00:09:24 (permalink)
    You will have to create a login ¬joea¬ and give it NTFS access on /somesubdir/joea folder. Then create a virtual folder in your default ftp site and give it name ¬joea¬. This will allow user joea to login and directly land in his designated folder.
    mvdo wso
    RE: General MS FTP Question 2010/05/02 16:58:10 (permalink)
    Useful information about how to setup and work with ms ftp:

Link included in gif image (can't place links yet).
    post edited by mvdo wso - 2010/05/02 17:03:10

Attached Image(s)

Jump to: