Lockeddirectory password

Author
sps
2002/02/11 09:34:01 (permalink)

directory password

Is there a way, with HC, to protect a directoy with login and password ? (like I can do with .htaccess of apache webserver).

Thank you

9 Replies Related Threads

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: directory password 2002/12/02 22:18:39 (permalink)
    Hi,

To create a password protected directory, follow the steps below.

1/ Login into control panel as Web Admin. Click Domains and click on the domain name which holds the directory.

2/ Click Add Virtual Directory button, select the website in Physical Path box, hit Expand button and browse until you select the folder which is needed to be secure. Then enter the directory name in Alias for Virtual Directory box. Select NO from Allow Anonymous radio box and click Add
    Virtual Directory button.

The above procedure will create a virtual directory (e.g mysecret) pointing to the folder you selected in step 2 and you can access the directory as (http://YourDomain.com/mysecret). Because anonymous access is denied, so when ever you access this directory, it will prompt you for login and password. Only those user will be able to login who have access to the physical directory to which this physical directory is pointing. To add user access to the directory, follow the steps below.

1/ Login as Web Admin, click Folder Security, select the website, click Expand and browse until you select the folder on which permission has to be set. Now click on Permissions button on right, click Add User button and
    select the user and permissions required to setup on the folder. Finally click Add\Change button to apply the settings.

I hope this helps :)
    sps
    RE: directory password 2002/02/13 00:21:24 (permalink)
    Yes, this explanations help me very much.
    I need something more now.
    You said that, via Folder security, I can add the user that can access to the folder. But if I need to add a particular user ? For example, I would like that in the directory called "test" the user is "test" and the password is "test2"

Is this possible ?
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: directory password 2002/02/13 01:10:28 (permalink)
    Yes, this is also possible. Login at webadmin level, Click on ¬Accounts¬ and add new account. This will be a new FTP user account ¬Test¬ under the specific web admin and this user will also appear in folder security.

Griff
    RE: directory password 2002/02/13 09:34:01 (permalink)
    I have used the above to password protect a folder. However any one who is on that re-sellers account can use their details to log in. Please can you tell me how I stop this
    garmstrong
    RE: directory password 2010/08/04 14:15:03 (permalink)
    I see this topic hasn't been updated in awhile.  Was this on a linux server because I am unable to get this to work.  What version of hosting controller was this?  I am running version 8 newest build and it does not work.
    ralphwhite
    RE: directory password 2011/02/14 23:51:53 (permalink)
    thanks for bringing this up. needed help on this one..

post edited by ralphwhite - 2011/02/14 23:52:55
    Xavier
    Re:directory password 2011/02/20 23:15:35 (permalink)
    I think this is HC6.1 thread and in this version HC used to provide IISPassword to provide password protected utilities. To activate IISPassword you can do so from Private Folder menu of domains.
    pria22
    Re:directory password 2011/05/30 08:26:08 (permalink)
    Hello,
    I have lost my web hosting password.How can i get it back?

HC Staff
    HC Staff
    Re:directory password 2011/05/30 11:58:54 (permalink)
    At bottom on HC login page you can use option " forgot password " using this option system will send new password in the profile email address.
    If it is not working then contact your hosting provider or if you are the panel admin then you can reset the password in computer management.
    Jump to: