Lockedsetting up ftp users for linux and locking them into their own directory.

Author
TigerLady
Starting Member
2009/09/04 06:22:17 (permalink)

setting up ftp users for linux and locking them into their own directory.

Hello,  I am having major issues adding ftp users to our linux machine and selecting which folders the user should have access to.

for example:

i have created a folder called

mbu
created a user called
mbu and a password

however, I can't specify through the panel which directory it is supposed to have access to and I can't get the url to prompt for a password and user name when going to that directory.

I know i must be missing something but not sure what. Please help i have clients wanting this set up like yesterday.

9 Replies Related Threads

HC Staff
    HC Staff
    Re:setting up ftp users for linux and locking them into their own directory. 2009/09/04 15:28:13 (permalink)
    To modify ftp user permissions inside domain directory this option available in HC panel for using ftp server " ServU & Gene6 " only. Which user can do it from menu " Domain :: FTP Users ".
    But in MS-ftp, Vsftpd & Wuftpd this option is not available.
    agermose
    Re:setting up ftp users for linux and locking them into their own directory. 2009/10/31 00:28:55 (permalink)
    on windows: is this only implemented by the features of the ftp server or are you actually doing security by also implementing ntfs security for the users and what access they have?

especially since you have not implemented this for MSFTP it sounds like there are no real NTFS security implementation in HC?

for Linux: when will this be implemented
    HC Staff
    HC Staff
    Re:setting up ftp users for linux and locking them into their own directory. 2009/11/01 23:41:58 (permalink)
    MS-FTP itself use Acl manager to set permissions on user directory. Which you can use via HC panel. Once you create the ftp user then you can edit its permissions from ACL Manager located under reseller/webadmin path " Tool --- ACL Manager ".

Note: In order to use ACL manager for linux website make sure ACL packet  is installed. Article

agermose
    Re:setting up ftp users for linux and locking them into their own directory. 2009/11/02 09:06:53 (permalink)
    interesting about the ACL for linux. Will look into this and try it out. I was actually morethinkngin about something as simple as changing the homedir for the user and make sure vsftp uses chroot.

maybe making this ACL package mandatory could also do something about the other thread I created about how simple it is to use read/write access and basic knowlage about HC to deface every website on the server and block this?

HC Staff
    HC Staff
    Re:setting up ftp users for linux and locking them into their own directory. 2009/11/02 20:22:54 (permalink)
    Its quite simple to use for modifying permissions on user/domain directory through HC panel.
    If you are running windows base website then check ACL manager on them in ' Tool --- Acl Manager '
    TigerLady
    Starting Member
    Re:setting up ftp users for linux and locking them into their own directory. 2009/11/05 09:47:59 (permalink)
    I am still having issues with this on the linux server.

here is what i do. 
    First create a user and since you can't drill down to the folder directly at the user creation level I give them fpt for the www directory checked.
    then I go to Tools/ folders and Security / ACL Manager
    Then i browse to the folder that i want to set permission on.
    Then I select the user from the user list created and I only want them to have Read/Write/Delete privileges however, when i actually set the permissions it says they have Read/Write/Exec  (this is no matter what i select in the selection list)
    However, when i try to actually ftp for the site through a browser like the clients will do.  after logging in I see all directories under the primary user account then when i select a domain I am able to see other folders and then when i select www at that point it stops giving access and won't let you actually get to the folders for which the user should have been dumped into to begin with.

Something is really broken with the way to set up ftp users in HC for Linux.

I suggest that when the web admin is creating the user they should be able to select the exact folder that they want to give ftp access to.

Anyway what i am doing at this point for a client is going through the panel to create the user then having my tech staff go and set the proper permissions manually on the server. Unless someone has a better Idea. 

I like being able to set up sites on the Linux box and have billing all in one place however, there are some basic functionality pieces missing in the control panel for the Linux side of things that CPanel was so easy deal with like user creation.  I think this is the worst part of the HC panel at the moment.

I could really use some help on this if someone has any suggestions.

thank you.
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    Re:setting up ftp users for linux and locking them into their own directory. 2009/11/10 04:07:09 (permalink)
    We are going to change the additional ftp user method, After that panel will provide Browse button to specify ftp user home directory path.
    Using this method ftp user will land to its specific folder.
    This integration will be included in build6.
    renhack
    Re:setting up ftp users for linux and locking them into their own directory. 2010/01/18 10:20:52 (permalink)
    Any news on this yet?  This is the only thing we are waiting for in order to jump from Plesk to HC
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    Re:setting up ftp users for linux and locking them into their own directory. 2010/01/27 07:39:38 (permalink)
    No doubt this is a very useful feature and in our to do list with high priority. We will provide this feature as soon as possible.
    Jump to: