Lockedmail on linux - to many limitations - can this really be true?

Author
agermose
2009/11/30 03:38:36 (permalink)

mail on linux - to many limitations - can this really be true?

hi

we always run mailservers on windows and one thing we where looking forward to when it comes to HC was that now we would, for "free", run mail on linux. Now windows license, no merak or other licenses, just license for HC.

so we asked HC to setup a linux mail server for us and install it completly. Now, I dont know if there are other options than the one picked that seams to be based on imapd/ipop3d and sendmail. But it **** :| no real auth options for sending and the pop3 server seams to sometimes block users saying "they already have a session" and the IMAP semas to not support subfolders (of inbox or other folders - so only one level).

are we missing something? Are better server software supported on linux or should we go back to running on windows - mailenabler maybe? Will this give new problems for "linux domains", I mean domains that are running on linux - can they have mail on windows?

and finally, how can we move the current users to the new mailserver without removing and recreating the domains.

2 Replies Related Threads

HC Staff
    HC Staff
    Re:mail on linux - to many limitations - can this really be true? 2009/11/30 22:55:43 (permalink)
    In HC8 we have allowed customers to configure/authenticate relay. For Sendmail Mail Server, sendmail.mc file is provided with the installer; also a comprehensive set of instructions and required files, to configure pop-before-smtp is provided with the installer in folder /usr/local/hostingcontroller/cofig/sendmail (New)
    Hopefully this shall resolve this case.

and finally, how can we move the current users to the new mailserver without removing and recreating the domains.

If mail domains already created through HC panel and you changed the mail server then I am afraid you have to recreate those mail domain again.
    agermose
    Re:mail on linux - to many limitations - can this really be true? 2009/11/30 23:06:41 (permalink)
    like I wrote, no real auth solution. We have the pop before smtp running, its not a secure or good solution in any way.

my question was: are there any other, better linux solutions supported by HC than sendmail and the imapd installed by HC?

Jump to: