LockedDatabase settings for MySql

Author
waldis
2010/05/05 14:17:39 (permalink)

Database settings for MySql

I have set up MS SQL with no problem, it tests out fine, now, with MySQL is where I'm having trouble.

MySQL Server Name: localhost
MySQL Install Path: when I was installing MySQL it asked me about InnoDB Datafiles location (which I set to e:\MySQL InnoDB Datafiles) is that where I point it to, or is it bin directory of MySQL install folder under program files? Or is it some other directory that I have no clue about?
MySQL IP Address: I set it the same as my MS SQL IP address since both are on the same server
MYSQL Port: 3306 (that is the default port, and I don't believe I have changed it in any way, though I have no idea where to look to confirm the validity of the port number)
MySQL Administrator Name: is that so called root administrator? In installation instructions it instructed me to change root to some other user name which I did, and that's the name I'm entering in this field. Or do I have to create some other user name?
MySQL Administrator Password: I enter the pwd for the root user
Confirm Password: same as above
Test Connectivity: I'm getting "Error occurred while connecting to the database!"

I hope somebody is smarter than I am about this MySQL 'bidness.' I tired to point it to all possible directories with no luck.

TIA,

Val
post edited by waldis - 2010/05/05 14:21:30

4 Replies Related Threads

HC Staff
    HC Staff
    Re:Database settings for MySql 2010/05/07 11:37:15 (permalink)

You will need to grant mysql root user on the server IP, See detail instruction in this kb  http://portal.hostingcont...e-is-not-creating.aspx
    oakleeman
    Re:Database settings for MySql 2010/05/08 01:36:21 (permalink)
    I'm unable to get this to work either on CentOS 5.4. I know that root has the necessary permissions because I'm able to login from my laptop with MySQL Administrator. Just keep getting that same frustruating message.
    woodpairs
    Re:Database settings for MySql 2010/05/10 23:54:06 (permalink)
    Hello friends my name is shun Michael. I also want to know about this database procedure..Please tell me, something about it..

NVGoldenDog
    Starting Member
    Re:Database settings for MySql 2010/05/18 15:12:40 (permalink)
    waldis

I have set up MS SQL with no problem, it tests out fine, now, with MySQL is where I'm having trouble.

MySQL Server Name: localhost
    MySQL Install Path: when I was installing MySQL it asked me about InnoDB Datafiles location (which I set to e:\MySQL InnoDB Datafiles) is that where I point it to, or is it bin directory of MySQL install folder under program files? Or is it some other directory that I have no clue about?
    MySQL IP Address: I set it the same as my MS SQL IP address since both are on the same server
    MYSQL Port: 3306 (that is the default port, and I don't believe I have changed it in any way, though I have no idea where to look to confirm the validity of the port number)
    MySQL Administrator Name: is that so called root administrator? In installation instructions it instructed me to change root to some other user name which I did, and that's the name I'm entering in this field. Or do I have to create some other user name?
    MySQL Administrator Password: I enter the pwd for the root user
    Confirm Password: same as above
    Test Connectivity: I'm getting "Error occurred while connecting to the database!"

I hope somebody is smarter than I am about this MySQL 'bidness.' I tired to point it to all possible directories with no luck.

TIA,

Val

Hi Waldis. I have our MySql setup similar to yours, except we are running it on Windows Server 2008 R2 with HC8.  A couple of things to note about what we had to do to make it work.
    #1. When installing MySql, make sure to check the box "Allow Remote connections"
    #2. Open a command prompt and type in:
        1) mysql> grant all privileges on *.* to root@10.10.1.1 identified by 'password' with grant option;
        2) mysql> grant all privileges on *.* to root@localhost identified by 'password' with grant option;

With that in place, now try it. This is what worked for us, I just had to re-install MySql yesterday so it is very fresh in my mind.

Hope this helps,

Lyle Epstein
    http://www.korteksolutions.com/
    http://blog.korteksolutions.com/
    Jump to: