Helpful ReplyLockedSQL in clustering environment

Author
2010/08/30 07:18:32 (permalink)

SQL in clustering environment

We have 2 machines with SQL Server 2008 R2 running in a cluster environment. Running in Active / passive mode where if SQL A down then all request divert to SQL 2 automatically. 

Now come toward HC, so we have to install HC database setup on one of our sql server ? If it is true then I am afraid it is not ideal in our environment.  How can we setup HC database on cluster SQL without having HC setup on it ?
steve01
Starting Member
Re:SQL in clustering environment 2010/08/30 13:53:10 (permalink)
I don't think so you need to install HC on SQL server. You can manually create HC database on your clustered SQL server and install HC on webserver. What I know this will work. But only question is, how HC webserver will communicate with HC database.
stsa55
Re:SQL in clustering environment 2010/08/30 14:21:42 (permalink)
HostAutomate

We have 2 machines with SQL Server 2008 R2 running in a cluster environment. Running in Active / passive mode where if SQL A down then all request divert to SQL 2 automatically. 

Now come toward HC, so we have to install HC database setup on one of our sql server ? If it is true then I am afraid it is not ideal in our environment.  How can we setup HC database on cluster SQL without having HC setup on it ?

Quite interesting scenario , can we get a word from HC with exact steps to accomplish this task ?
boris
Re:SQL in clustering environment 2010/09/01 03:40:27 (permalink)
I had a chat with them before about it. They said that they would provide some workaround for it which I am still awaiting. If anybody else has got this workaround thing from HC team then at least update this thread. Thanks in Advance.
HC Team
Hosting Controller
☄ Helpful
Re:SQL in clustering environment 2010/09/01 09:41:39 (permalink)
Here is the way to set HC on a cluster sql server.

1. HC database can’t be created without having HC setup, so to create database  in the sql server for temporary bases install HC using option ’ Database ‘. This will create HC db in the sql server. After that remove HC installation from cluster Sql machine. Incase you don’t have access or it is not allowed to install HC in the sql server, then you must install HC using database setup on any other machine and move the database manually in cluster sql. 
  2. Now come to web server machine, Install HC by choosing installation type : Subsequent. In the installation field provide following info
          Database Server : Enter the Ip address of cluster Sql Server 
          Database Server IP: Enter the IP address of first webserver
          HC Database : HC Database Name which locate on cluster Sql

Note: Database Server IP: This would be the server where HC will store the ServerSetting.xml file , this file is used to store HC cluster configuration  that we set in Global Setting.

With this workaround you can keep HC database on a dedicated SQL server without having HC installation. In future if you need to add more servers then follow step 2 to add them in the cluster.

The good thing is when you will apply a new HC service pack it will automatically update the database on dedicated SQL Server.
post edited by HC Team - 2010/09/01 09:43:19
patrick
Premium Member
Re:SQL in clustering environment 2010/09/01 11:15:24 (permalink)
This is great info.

What would be the instruction for existing customers to separate HC installation on sql server. As both db and server setting.xml file locates on Sql server machine.
HC Team
Hosting Controller
Re:SQL in clustering environment 2010/09/06 10:23:50 (permalink)
For existing clients who want to separate HC database server from HC installation.

- Copy ServerSettings.xml from HC database server located under the path X:\Program Files\Advanced Communications\HostingController\INI and copy it on any web server under the same path.

- Go to
HC installation path \Program Files\Advanced Communications\Hosting Controller\Applications of Web Server and open RegisterServer.exe.

Give following values in the RegisterServer.exe fields

Database Server Name : Enter the Ip address of Sql Server.

Database Server IP :
Enter the IP address of WebServer ( where you have placed serversettings.xml file).

Database name :
Give HC Database Name.

Restart HC remoting services from Start :: Run :: Services.msc and you will be good to go.

Repeat the same above procedure for all subsequent server to register in the cluster. Once this is done then uninstall HC installation from HC database server.

Warning : If users MSSQL database are being created on the same server then HC instllation can not be removed. This secnario is only for those who are just running HC database on the server.

techMate
Re:SQL in clustering environment 2010/09/06 20:55:45 (permalink)
Good  great Info... I like it. :)
laila55
Re:SQL in clustering environment 2010/11/07 22:34:18 (permalink)
Thanks,,,,

Jump to: