Lockedmigrate part of a domain to other server

Author
agermose
2011/06/09 02:27:07 (permalink)

migrate part of a domain to other server

hi

we often see situations in our current setup where we want to move a domain or more likely part of it (most often DB part, next most ww part) from one server to an other. In other CPs there are tools for this, but not of HC I think.

Will there ever be a tool for this for HC?

is it possible to update the database manually after manually moving www files or mysql maybe so that HC is able to handle the DB/www in the new place again?

4 Replies Related Threads

watson
    Re:migrate part of a domain to other server 2011/06/09 02:44:12 (permalink)
    When we started using hosting controller that time we put all roles web/dns/db/mail on same box. Later we need to distribute roles on separate box. HC told us that it can't be automated from RBX or transfer website mechanism.
    So we manually transfer the mail and db record on new box and point the entries in the HC database.
    I think it is very easy to allocate mail/dns/db to a new box in the database but web role transfer wouldn't be easy to do it.
    agermose
    Re:migrate part of a domain to other server 2011/06/09 02:48:38 (permalink)
    hi

do you have any description on what You changed in the database to make this work for non www service?

maybe its more easy to move www when on apache -> apache or you think its simply in general hard? I guess its related to this that the user is fixed to a server?
    watson
    Re:migrate part of a domain to other server 2011/06/09 03:18:12 (permalink)
    For example if you need to point mail domain or database record to new cluster server then simple changes is to modify Serverid in the tblmaildomains and tbldatabases. You can get the example entries list for new server by creating a test mail domain / db on that particular server and then check its record in respective tables.

Regarding User or website migration I don't think it is that much simple because what I can see is there are many dependencies of different tables associated to it i.e Tblusers,TblsoldPlan,TblServers, etc etc. It wouldn't make it easier if sites on linux. complication at the database end.
    agermose
    Re:migrate part of a domain to other server 2011/06/10 09:49:16 (permalink)
    ok, thanks for input.
    Jump to: