Helpful ReplyLockedDo not show Private IPs to users when NAT is being used.

Author
2011/08/29 02:14:01 (permalink)

Do not show Private IPs to users when NAT is being used.

This is a big problem for those of us who use NAT due to WAF implementations or similar. The user is presented with the Private IP address instead of the Public IP address that it is mapped to in the NAT Manager. This causes confusion for the customer and support requests from users running their own DNS wanting to know what their public IP is. This is also a security issue as it quickly and easily allows a malicious hosting customer to identify your private subnet(s) and enable them to launch an attack from inside the private subnet.

I have been told by H-Sphere support that in order to get this changed I have to start a thread on the forum and get as much people replying as possible also requesting this feature.

I understand that there are some HC owners that for some reason prefer the Private IP address to be shown, so in this case it would be great for the Public IP address display to be an option rather than hard coded.
post edited by apjdavis - 2011/09/02 21:19:06
nckhosting
☄ Helpful
Re:Do not show Private IPs to users when NAT is being used. 2011/12/11 22:59:38 (permalink)
I have been going crazy trying to get HC to show the public ip with no luck.  I was told by HC Support that other hosts are doing it.  I am a new user so just learning how HC works.  It is very confusing for me to look at the internal ip's in HC and if I have problems with it I know my users will.  I vote that it should be an option as to whether show the internal ip or external ip.
Re:Do not show Private IPs to users when NAT is being used. 2011/12/11 23:11:22 (permalink)
  That is the exact response I received from Hosting Controller "Support". They suggested that the customer just ping their website and get the public IP from that. Doesn't work too well when they manage their own DNS and need to create the entry themselves. It causes unnecessary support requests from customers who are confused that their server is sitting in a private address space.

Are you listening HC support, this really needs to be fixed. It's not even a difficult change to implement.
nckhosting
Re:Do not show Private IPs to users when NAT is being used. 2011/12/19 23:43:32 (permalink)
I currently use Helm and I am switching to HC and this internal IP is driving me crazy.
I sent this to HC Support. 
"In Helm they have what they call their IP Address Manager which is similar to your HC Nat Manager.
They use it to translate the internal ip to the external ip like HC does.
The difference is they only show the external ip address to the user in their control panel.
It doesn’t make any sense to me to display the internal ip to users.
You should consider adding a option to to show the internal ip or the external ip to users."

This is what they sent me back
"We have noted down your request, this will be added in our feature list if we receive same request from number of client."

Jump to: