2009/09/18 04:15:21
nitaish

SAN storage

Is HC thinking of enabling support for SAN storage for both Windows and Linux CP? It will enable companies to sell unlimted space on their servers.

Business Email Solution - http://qualispace.com/nova/business-email/
12 comments Leave a comment
HC Staff
SAN / NAS Support: This feature is always requested by our users, where they want to keep webspace/storage at a remote centralize network place.

We have already forwarded this feature request toward concern department. Whatever they will decide we will let know you. 
2009/09/18 09:44:10
nitaish
It sounds nice to hear positive responses from HC.
2009/09/19 06:58:03
Airfox
HC Tech

SAN / NAS Support: This feature is always requested by our users, where they want to keep webspace/storage at a remote centralize network place.

We have already forwarded this feature request toward concern department. Whatever they will decide we will let know you. 

*Bump*

I have an 8Tb NAS, Z:\webspace would be very great!
Y:\Dataspace and X:\Mailspace would be usefull too.

2010/08/05 04:00:05
patrick
If I am not wrong HC already support SAN in version 8 for Windows Server.
2010/08/05 04:48:47
Airfox
....aparently not.

I am still running tests, I did a fresh install today.
When I go to initially configure my server... For 'Web Root Path' it will not let me manually type anything in the box, so I click browse, it only gives the C drive, the Z drive is not listed.
(Yes the Z is correctly mapped, its where the SQL and HC8 install files are located)

2010/08/05 09:56:29
patrick
Try to change the drive letter i.e J, H, I maybe issue with letter Z. See if that work with you 

or

Open ServerSetting.xml file which would be located on hc db server installation directory /hostingcontroller/INI open file in notepad, search for webroot path and manually set it like Z:\webspace. Then create a account from HC and see if it actually storing in Z drive or not.

Give HCAdministrator user full permissions on Z drive, as this user for HC panel activity maybe any of above trick work.

Let me know about result :)
2010/08/05 10:11:05
Airfox
OK, so I created a new folder on the NAS, ownership was set to HCAdministrator with full read/write privileges.
Next I mapped it to the server as w:\ and in it created w:\webstuff\
I then tried to add it in server manager > Web Root Path;  c:\ was the only option.
I went in and edited the HC serversettings file, changing c:\inetpub\wwwroot to w:\webstuff.
Finally I created a new reseller: Reseller1, then a new user: User1 and gave the user website 'user1web.com'.
System created  c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Reseller1\user1web.com\

2010/08/06 01:43:57
patrick
Airfox

OK, so I created a new folder on the NAS, ownership was set to HCAdministrator with full read/write privileges.
I then tried to add it in server manager > Web Root Path;  c:\ was the only option.
I went in and edited the HC serversettings file, changing c:\inetpub\wwwroot to w:\webstuff.
Finally I created a new reseller: Reseller1, then a new user: User1 and gave the user website 'user1web.com'.

Guess its time to contact HC team to fix this issue as they says SAN is supported. Once they fix the issue then do let us know here about solution :)
2010/08/06 01:56:09
HC Staff
Airfox

What file system you have set for SAN storage drive ?
Note: HC will only read the drive if it is set under NTFS file system
2010/08/06 02:53:38
nitaish
Can HC recommend some SAN storage solution supporting NTFS?
2010/08/17 00:16:43
HC Team
You can have any SAN solution that support NTFS file system.
2010/08/17 03:06:33
nitaish
Can you give an example?
2010/08/20 04:02:12

Comments are closed.