2010/11/12 20:45:41
nitaish

HC7.asp file from where it is coming ?

I have noticed in a few servers running HC7 and HC8, a file getting created in many websites with the name hc7.asp and the content of the file contains redirection to a URL containing malware. When I check the FTP logs, I don't find any entry of the file being uploaded via FTP. I think there is some vulnerability in Hosting Controller which is being exploited to create the file on the server in different websites. HC, kindly look into it.

Business Email Solution - http://qualispace.com/nova/business-email/
6 comments Leave a comment
patrick
Where is this file creates by HC panel I can't see anywhere in the HC installation or domains folders ?
2010/11/13 01:15:37
HC Staff
Natish it would be better to stop calling issue/query security hole/ vulnerability unless you sure about that. Such post can only used for destructing other HC user. There is no such implementation at hosting controller end to insert a asp file. You might have using 'auto script copy' , the option where reseller can set a file to be auto insert with new domain creation.
2010/11/13 01:21:18
hostautomate
I Agree. 
Perhaps HC should moderate forum with following keywords " security hole , Vulnerability " etc etc
2010/11/13 01:29:14
nitaish
I have found it in a few servers running Hosting Controller and hence have reported the same. I also have a lot of servers running Plesk, there is no such file created in those servers. I deleted the hc7.asp file from the websites in one of the servers on Saturday and today they appeared again. Also, I had mentioned it is as Possible Vulnerability and not a confirmed vulnerability. I had also raised a ticket in Support, which your support team has not bothered to reply. I can even give access to a server in which there are multiple files being created, but only if the support team checks it and reverts. So, instead of crying foul, HC should have a look in it. I am sure there are other HC users too who may have faced the same problem. I would also recommend other HC users to search for the file hc7.asp in their servers.
2010/11/15 01:13:33
patrick
What actually harm bring this file on your server ?
I have searched for this file on all of my 7 servers but no where this file exist. 

I am an ASP developer if you send it to me then I could give detail about it.
2010/11/18 05:42:21
techMate
I searched my whole server but unable to find any file named hc7.asp..

Nitaish can you tell us the exact path where it is going to be created?
2010/11/21 04:07:47

Comments are closed.