2011/10/25 17:32:35
FL-ex

1 clickers virtual directory

Hi,

I noticed that HC creates a virtual directory such as www.mydomain.com/mycustomer-com, so customer can easily test his site before migrating to our hosting.

The thing is, if customer installs a 1 clicker, not sure why, but HC installs it to /special and since the virtual directory points to WWW, it doesnt work, I have to change the virtual directory for the customer.

Not sure if this can be improved somehow, perhaps lettig admin change 1 clicker behaviour and make them be installed to WWW (as was in HC6) or maybe create 2 virtual directories, or yet, create the vir dir pointing to the root so user can type /www or /special/...

Thanks.
4 comments Leave a comment
HC Staff

I noticed that HC creates a virtual directory such as www.mydomain.com/mycustomer-com, so customer can easily test his site before migrating to our hosting.

Temporary virtual directory implementation is not designed to test with click apps, its only for domain www propagation.

The thing is, if customer installs a 1 clicker, not sure why, but HC installs it to /special and since the virtual directory points to WWW, it doesnt work, I have to change the virtual directory for the customer.

We have made sure that virtual directory point to domain.com/special folder, it shouldn't point to www. Please test it again.

Not sure if this can be improved somehow, perhaps lettig admin change 1 clicker behaviour and make them be installed to WWW (as was in HC6) or maybe create 2 virtual directories, or yet, create the vir dir pointing to the root so user can type /www or /special/...

Well first of all we are not planning to install click app on root of website in www. By creating a new folder inside /www/C&I/ I don't think this is ideal to message with permissions inheritance. So ideal is to copy folder in /special folder and point virtual directory to it.

2011/10/31 09:36:00
FL-ex
Thanks, Tahir. Not a big deal really, I cant change the virtual directory. But why did you guys change it to /special?

You know customers, they get the mydomain.com/theirdomain-com in welcome message and they expect it to work. Perhaps Ill just add a sentence "if you are installing 1 clickers and want to test", open a ticket so we can adjust virtual directory...

Regards
2011/11/01 10:18:29
HC Staff
In order to install click apps from HC panel we need to get website anonymous user READ & Write permission on /special folder. So if we need to install inside /www directory then we must give these permissions which I don't think is good idea to allow write permission to anonymous user on /www.

Its a clean implementation to put click apps folder into /special directory and map this path as a virtual directory under the domain.
2011/11/04 04:35:33
FL-ex
Hi,

Well I see no harm in read + write in www, I think its easier and its how it was in HC6. I dont understand why HC set just read... Just more work as many users need write also.

If it was kept in WWW would be perhaps easier, virtual dirs would work for them, etc. Creating the virtual dir later is a bit of a pain as you have to the to domains anony user to users folder permissions, etc.

Thanks.
2011/11/04 11:20:10

Comments are closed.