LockedUpgrade 6.1 to 7 (build 9)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jvivona
2007/02/07 16:36:45 (permalink)

Upgrade 6.1 to 7 (build 9)

When upgrading from 6.1, I am receiving an error importing users under our reseller. I get a message "Error occurred while importing forums". In 6.1 Forums are turned off for all plans. In 7 I have disabled forums as well.

The last group in the upgrade log file is:

No forums foundThe Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query 'phpBB'. Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly.

Since I've never installed phpBB, I'm missing this table in the MDB.

Any thoughts ?

19 Replies Related Threads

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Upgrade 6.1 to 7 (build 9) 2007/03/07 07:43:23 (permalink)
    It seems you have sold some quota of 'Forum' resource to some customers. Can you please verify it and also follow undermentioned steps for upgrade:

o Server Roles should be same as in HC6.1.

o Webspace Root Path should be same as in HC6.1.

o Host Panel Settings (including Global Settings, Billing Configurations and My Server Configurations) should be configured properly before starting upgrade.

o Host can import users in HC7 one-by-one or by selecting few/all at a time. It is recommended to import reseller one by one.

o After migrating any user (reseller/webadmin), you will not be able to operate that user from HC6.1.

o After complete migration you will not be able to operate HC6.1.

o If your Mail, Database and DNS Servers are remotely configured, then these servers should be added in the cluster before starting upgrade.

2. It is recommended to stop all HC6 Services before running HC7 upgrade utility.

3. Run the migration utility from Start->Programs->Hosting Controller 7C->Upgrade Utility.

4. After completion, it will display you the summary of whole action performed during migration of reseller(s).

If your issue is still there please contact HC Support with Server access tp debugg this issue.

+1-213-341-1419
    jvivona
    RE: Upgrade 6.1 to 7 (build 9) 2007/03/07 14:24:17 (permalink)
    OK, so it seems like you must be on Hotfix 3.3 for the upgrade to work. Cool. But now we have a new error in the SystemLog

DataBase Server is on Remotesouthernglass.com : Can’t update mail domain root path to default path.

The mail server is local to the server (relative) but is using a different IP Address.
    Dhosting.co.uk
    Premium Member
    RE: Upgrade 6.1 to 7 (build 9) 2007/03/07 15:10:09 (permalink)
    If i were you ask hc to complete the migration.

We did ours at build 7 of hc7, couldn’t get it to work, errors errors errors, so i got hc to do it!

There were still issues after that, I only got round to fixing the mail domains this week, basically hc hadn’t populated the maildomains table with all the mail domains which were on the 6.1 install. Mind you this was all back in feb / march! So I assume the upgrade has been improved.

www.Dwebs.ltd.uk - Web Design & Other Services
    My views are my own and not those of my company.
    jvivona
    RE: Upgrade 6.1 to 7 (build 9) 2007/05/07 06:31:26 (permalink)
    Any of you who are having this issue with upgrade, this is the response I received from HC Support today.

Hi,

This issue has been fixed in Build 10 that is expected within few days. We will install build 10 on your server and then run upgrade utility. Please do not run upgrade utility yourself. Thanks

Regards,
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Upgrade 6.1 to 7 (build 9) 2007/09/07 10:48:06 (permalink)
    FYI Build 10 is expected within this week.

+1-213-341-1419
    jvivona
    RE: Upgrade 6.1 to 7 (build 9) 2007/07/19 12:55:19 (permalink)
    Just as an FYI to everyone, after taking out my mail service during a "bad" upgrade at 3AM without any warning to me. And after admitting there are still bugs in the upgrade process. I caleld into sales to ask for a refund since I can no longer trust the software and I'm uninstalling it. I got a response of "we don't have a refund policy - let us see if we can fix the problem".

I said - sorry, due to your track record I will NOT allow you to log into my server and do something else to take my client services out.

They then asked me to send in a ticket to explain the issue. Just so you can all see, here's my e-mail.

================================================================

I want a refund of my upgrade price please plus the cost of the extra server.

Basically I purchased the upgrade from 6.x, attempted to perform the upgrade myself. When I couldn't the support staff logged in and attempted the upgrade. They confirmed a bug in the software and told me to wait for build 10. 10 days later, without any warning to me or my customers build 10 was installed. This process cut out our DNS & SmarterMail service. You staff, after reassuring me it would only take 15 minutes to fix, spent between 4 and 6 hours attempting to resolve the problem. In the end they got us to 90% functional and I had to manually recover a number of SmarterMail domains. In addition, our DNS zones created through HC all became corrupted. The reason I know it was only the HC zones is because I have non-HC zones on the DNS server and they were fine, only the HC zones were corrupt. I again had to do a data recovery to get our clients back up and running.

At this point, I have had to refund a number of clients money due to the service outage & based upon our Service Agreements with them. So I'm out that money, in addition I have lost a number of clients because they no longer trust my ability to keep their mail and web sites up - so again I am out that money. Also, I had to stay on the phone with your tech support department getting updates - this was time I was not billing customers. Again I've lost money. All told, I've lost about $1000 in services revenue and hosting revenue.
    Dhosting.co.uk
    Premium Member
    RE: Upgrade 6.1 to 7 (build 9) 2007/07/19 13:33:20 (permalink)
    Did you say hc installed build 10????

Did they do this without asking??? i.e. build 10 came out they installed without telling you as they thought it would fix?

We had an issue at Christmas where A hc tech rebooted a box without permission, there excuse at the time was he's new. Now i let them off and there have been no mistakes since, it didn’t cause any major issues just a couple of clients noticed some stuff not working.

jvivona
    RE: Upgrade 6.1 to 7 (build 9) 2007/07/19 13:35:08 (permalink)
    They had said they would, but provided no advanced notice when it would happen. No one knew build 10 was out and they were installing.
    Dhosting.co.uk
    Premium Member
    RE: Upgrade 6.1 to 7 (build 9) 2007/07/19 13:42:48 (permalink)
    I guess they could have found a bug when they installed build 10 i assume it was the pre-release.

This has happened before on final release.

i.e. hc have released a build clients install and find a bug, they re-release the update next day with a fix :)

Still i dont think its a bad product, h_e_l_m has a lot of issues you do not hear about trust me on that, the control panels seem to have a lot of machine specific issues.

jvivona
    RE: Upgrade 6.1 to 7 (build 9) 2007/07/19 13:46:53 (permalink)
    I hear you. Just bad customer service on their part - and honestly my customers would fry me if I had bad customer service. For what it's worth, since we don't have customer auto-signup there's no real loss to me by dumping the product. At this point our staff is just adding things by hand. Yes it takes us 15 minutes instead of 3, but at least I KNOW it works. Right now I have as much out of HC as I have in it.

Since I'm in Microsoft SPLA and a Hosting Partner, I may look at using the new hosting platform scripts and do some automation but I'm not in any rush - many bigger fires to put out.
    Dhosting.co.uk
    Premium Member
    RE: Upgrade 6.1 to 7 (build 9) 2007/07/19 13:50:35 (permalink)
    We are both SPLA, Hosting Partners, MAPS too (got my 2008 beta in the post the other day, need to try that :) )

Eventually we may go for our own system but i'm no good with .NET, classic asp i'm fine with we have some quite clever custom built systems but for a control panel it really needs to be in .NET security, performance and future expansion is .Net :)

I've heard good things about DotNetPanel not used it myself though.

Albert38
    RE: Upgrade 6.1 to 7 (build 9) 2007/07/20 08:15:27 (permalink)
    To jvivona what DNS service do you use. I'm using MS DNS and have to update to build 10. Qurious to know what to expect..
    jvivona
    RE: Upgrade 6.1 to 7 (build 9) 2007/07/20 08:27:00 (permalink)
    We are a total Microsoft Shop, DNS, IIS, SQL 2K5, etc. We're getting ready to move to Hosted Exchange for our clients.
    jvivona
    RE: Upgrade 6.1 to 7 (build 9) 2007/07/20 08:28:40 (permalink)
    Oh yeah, I got this as a reply to our support ticket. Did you know there's no refund policy at HC ? So they're offering to do me a favor and fix the bugs in the software.

==========================================================
    First of all please accept our apology for all this inconvenience which you have faced. Yes we have found that in build9 upgrade utility was not able to import you Smarter mail domains. But let me tell you that many of our other clients who were using Smarter mail successfully upgraded their servers. But in your case it was throwing error due to which we had to make some code level changes and update into build10.
    The problem which you got after the upgrade in smarter mail was fixed by our support person and he informed you on 14th of july, If there was some problem remaining in HC7 then you should have informed us ASAP not after a week.

As our sales team told you that we don't have refund policy but we will do special favour to you for solving all HC issues, Let us know what kind of issues are occurring in HC panel so we may fix them on pirority bases ?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: