LockedMail server in multiple clusters?

Author
plateaultd
2008/01/26 08:30:17 (permalink)

Mail server in multiple clusters?

Can a central mail server be in more than one cluster?
We have some older server which use a different FTP server than our newer servers, so HC says we need to have them in different clusters, sigh! We really don't want to have to put a new mail server on-line just for these few servers.

6 Replies Related Threads

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Mail server in multiple clusters? 2008/01/26 12:36:00 (permalink)
    Currently you don't use same server in two different clusters and this feature is already in our to do list.

+1-213-341-1419
    plateaultd
    RE: Mail server in multiple clusters? 2008/01/26 20:41:18 (permalink)
    Either needs needs to be added right away or you need to come out witht he security fixes to 6.1 real soon now!

The reason being is I have some servers running one FTP server and other another and you don't support this either. SO you now have placed me between a rock and a hard place. In order to "upgrade" all my servers I would need to put a $3000-$5000 mail server on line, transfer all their mail accounts and DNS to the new mail server and then upgrade.

I have been extremely disappointed with the way Hosting Controller is handling the security issues in their software and the fact that they didn't put an awful lot of thought into "what if" scenarios for their latest version. Perhaps you might have talked to some of your customers.

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Mail server in multiple clusters? 2008/01/28 04:09:52 (permalink)
    We are trying our best to fix HC6 security issues on high priority but as they are very large in numbers therefore its taking some time to fix them.

plateaultd, you can have all of your webservers in one cluster with centralized mail server in HC7. Moreover, you can manually manage the webserver having different FTP Server in the same way you are already doing for HC6.

+1-213-341-1419
    plateaultd
    RE: Mail server in multiple clusters? 2008/01/28 12:06:01 (permalink)
    I am not sure what you mean by "Manually Manage" the webserver. The whole point of the control panel is to automate as much as possible.

What exactly do you mean by manually manage?

quote:
    Originally posted by HC Support
    [br]We are trying our best to fix HC6 security issues on high priority but as they are very large in numbers therefore its taking some time to fix them.

plateaultd, you can have all of your webservers in one cluster with centralized mail server in HC7. Moreover, you can manually manage the webserver having different FTP Server in the same way you are already doing for HC6.

+1-213-341-1419

gothamweb
    Starting Member
    RE: Mail server in multiple clusters? 2008/01/28 19:52:57 (permalink)
    This is EXACTLY why we havent upgraded to HC 7! And thats why we are stuck with 40 servers on HC6 which are hacked daily.

And worst of all HC doesnt give a date of when they plan to release fixes, if at all.

Now this is very scary - so much so that since we cant upgrade to 7.0 because its not really a distributed environment, that we need to look (and have started to look) at other panels. In fact if you have HC installed on your server and you run a security scan for credit card PCI compliance - you will fail and wont be able to accept credit cards!

Sal
    plateaultd
    RE: Mail server in multiple clusters? 2008/10/12 23:08:11 (permalink)
    Well it has been almost a full year without a resolution to this problem. I still have one server running Serv-U ftp that I cannot move to HC 7 as my other servers use MSFT FTP. Great support HC!

quote:
    Originally posted by plateaultd
    [br]Can a central mail server be in more than one cluster?
    We have some older server which use a different FTP server than our newer servers, so HC says we need to have them in different clusters, sigh! We really don't want to have to put a new mail server on-line just for these few servers.

Jump to: