LockedHC7.00.17 no MSDE and IIS7 - Installation fails

Author
nextmill
2008/09/06 22:12:21 (permalink)

HC7.00.17 no MSDE and IIS7 - Installation fails

I took a brand new Windows 2008 Standard Server with IIS7 web/ftp installed and running. SQL 2005 Management Studio SP2 is installed and can connect to the remote SQL server on the same network. I installed HC7.00.17 NO MSDE and went thru the installation specifying the SQL server to use and its login information. Its able to connect and identify that I had already created an HC7 database and asks if I want to overwrite which I say yes (tried without the DB created first and it makes no difference).
No tables are created in the HC7 database
No HC7 Control Panel website port 8787 is created in IIS
No HC7 Application Pool is created
All 7 HC7 services are installed and Started

Anyone have any ideas on what I'm missing? Port 8787/8788/8789 are allowed TCP thru the Windows Firewall on both web and remote DB server. Port 1433 is allowed on remote DB server windows firwall and accepts connections from the web server sql management studio as well as other servers.

12 Replies Related Threads

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: HC7.00.17 no MSDE and IIS7 - Installation fails 2008/10/06 04:10:12 (permalink)
    Issue was not replicated locally and support has replied for your ticket please send them your server access. They will check this issue in detail.

+1-213-341-1419
    nextmill
    RE: HC7.00.17 no MSDE and IIS7 - Installation fails 2008/10/06 09:08:31 (permalink)
    I submitted all information to the ticket. I've tried 3 more times and it still doesn't function although the install process doesn't fail, it simply doesn't have a HC website configured and there are no tables in the remote SQL HC7 database.

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: HC7.00.17 no MSDE and IIS7 - Installation fails 2008/11/06 02:21:58 (permalink)
    Installation has been done by support dept. They have informed you by email.

+1-213-341-1419
    intramanga
    RE: HC7.00.17 no MSDE and IIS7 - Installation fails 2008/11/06 02:36:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by nextmill
    [br]I took a brand new Windows 2008 Standard Server with IIS7 web/ftp installed and running. SQL 2005 Management Studio SP2 is installed and can connect to the remote SQL server on the same network. I installed HC7.00.17 NO MSDE and went thru the installation specifying the SQL server to use and its login information. Its able to connect and identify that I had already created an HC7 database and asks if I want to overwrite which I say yes (tried without the DB created first and it makes no difference).
    No tables are created in the HC7 database
    All 7 HC7 services are installed and Started

Anyone have any ideas on what I'm missing? Port 8787/8788/8789 are allowed TCP thru the Windows Firewall on both web and remote DB server. Port 1433 is allowed on remote DB server windows firwall and accepts connections from the web server sql management studio as well as other servers.

Hi ,

Trying to evaluate HC
    I experienced exactly the same problem as described. Seems that HC cannot access an SQL2005 instance after installation.
    When I tried the install with MSDE it all works , but when I try to create a new database in the HC cp it gives a connection error on the SQL2005 instance , however when I use the HC msde instance in the database settings I can create a new database without an error.
    And indeed the installation goes without any errors at all , it even writes the new HC7 database , after that it cannot access it any more.
    I would prefer also to be able to use SQL2005...

Regards,
    Ed,
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: HC7.00.17 no MSDE and IIS7 - Installation fails 2008/11/06 05:08:57 (permalink)
    It might be possible you have not provided correct SQL 2005 instance name in HC Settings. Please make sure, can you connect to same SQL 2005 instance name by creating ODBC connection?

+1-213-341-1419
    intramanga
    RE: HC7.00.17 no MSDE and IIS7 - Installation fails 2008/11/06 06:02:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by HC Support
    [br]It might be possible you have not provided correct SQL 2005 instance name in HC Settings. Please make sure, can you connect to same SQL 2005 instance name by creating ODBC connection?

+1-213-341-1419

I can connect correctly with ODBC to my 2005 instance , here's the message :

Microsoft SQL Server ODBC Driver Version 06.00.6001
    Running connectivity tests...
    Attempting connection
    Connection established
    Verifying option settings
    Disconnecting from server
    TESTS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY!

so I think that's not the problem , what is strange is like nextmill says that after install without MSDE ,
    with me however the tables were created in the HC7 db , with him not he says

Ed,
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: HC7.00.17 no MSDE and IIS7 - Installation fails 2008/11/06 07:05:09 (permalink)
    Again I will mention there is no issue on local machine. I can not comment without checking this issue on your machine. Please contact with server access.

+1-213-341-1419
    intramanga
    RE: HC7.00.17 no MSDE and IIS7 - Installation fails 2008/11/06 07:38:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by HC Support
    [br]Again I will mention there is no issue on local machine. I can not comment without checking this issue on your machine. Please contact with server access.

+1-213-341-1419

Well my machine is working for the moment because I reinstalled with MSDE. Lets see if nextmill has his machine still without MSDE and you could have a look there if he agrees.
    If not , I will reconsider a reinstall without MSDE to let have you guys a look why this does not work.

Ed,

nextmill
    RE: HC7.00.17 no MSDE and IIS7 - Installation fails 2008/11/06 15:17:54 (permalink)
    Ed, make sure under sql configuration manager you have tcpip enabled for network protocols and for for client protocols. SQL 2005 on the server should work fine as long as you also have the SQL Management Studio installed..

As for this ticket, the reason it did not work is HC requires a separate license for the SQL server even if its not part of the cluster! Thus the first server MUST be an SQL server, I can't just buy a WEB SERVER license and install it on a web server with the HC7 database existing on a separate server. What is required is you must login to that separate SQL server, install HC7 as a database server, then install HC7 on the web server. You then must purchase two licenses, one for the web server, and one for the sql server even if you don't intend on that sql server offering resources to the cluster.

nextmill
    RE: HC7.00.17 no MSDE and IIS7 - Installation fails 2008/11/06 15:21:04 (permalink)
    Now I've run into another road block. Seems HC 7.00.0017 doesn't want to startup a few services on W2003 x64. Problem is the mail server runs Windows 2003 x64 on a Dell. That is what was purchased and licensed. Client can't afford to purchase a separate server with windows x86 and another license of Smartermail just for the HC environment I am setting up for them. I've opened a new ticket and we'll see if they can resolve the situation. Hopefully so or else the client will have to return their HC licenses they just purchased and go with DotNetPanel instead which supports x64 Windows.

intramanga
    RE: HC7.00.17 no MSDE and IIS7 - Installation fails 2008/12/06 14:02:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    [br]Ed, make sure under sql configuration manager you have tcpip enabled for network protocols and for for client protocols. SQL 2005 on the server should work fine as long as you also have the SQL Management Studio installed..

As for this ticket, the reason it did not work is HC requires a separate license for the SQL server even if its not part of the cluster! Thus the first server MUST be an SQL server, I can't just buy a WEB SERVER license and install it on a web server with the HC7 database existing on a separate server. What is required is you must login to that separate SQL server, install HC7 as a database server, then install HC7 on the web server. You then must purchase two licenses, one for the web server, and one for the sql server even if you don't intend on that sql server offering resources to the cluster.

hmm , tcp works correctly as I can access the server from outside , and I installed other programs like Smartertrack that uses the SQL2005 instance and works without any problems , even de installation of HC works ( detects the SQL2005 instance and creates the database in it) BUT does not install HC7 Control Panel website in IIS , and gives no error whatsoever.
    If I install on the MSDE instance it all works fine and the site is created.
    Cannot have to do anything with licensing since its all on just ONE server , SQL2005 and HC7 and is the first server.
    I will open a ticket and let support have a look why the Control Panel website is not created with none-MSDN install.

Ed,
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: HC7.00.17 no MSDE and IIS7 - Installation fails 2008/06/13 03:08:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    [br]Now I've run into another road block. Seems HC 7.00.0017 doesn't want to startup a few services on W2003 x64. Problem is the mail server runs Windows 2003 x64 on a Dell. That is what was purchased and licensed. Client can't afford to purchase a separate server with windows x86 and another license of Smartermail just for the HC environment I am setting up for them. I've opened a new ticket and we'll see if they can resolve the situation. Hopefully so or else the client will have to return their HC licenses they just purchased and go with DotNetPanel instead which supports x64 Windows.

@nextmill

Your smarter mail server issue on x64bit server has been fixed by HC support and you have also confirmed it in the reply of ticket# 20181527-1106.

@intramanga

Support has successfully installed HC on your machine. Please check.

+1-213-341-1419
    Jump to: