LockedIcewarp Merak x HC 7 (Please Merak users, comment)

Author
FL-ex
Premium Member
2008/10/20 05:22:37 (permalink)

Icewarp Merak x HC 7 (Please Merak users, comment)

Dear friends,

I see a couple of issues regarding HC7 and IceWarp Merak integration. Other Merak users, please tell me what you think, as it doesnt seem top priority for HC to address this:

1) HC does not recognize Meraks Template default feature, where we can define a default for new accounts (template account default), so it comes with certain services on, limits, etc. For me its a big problem, as the account HC creates comes with antispam and quarantine on, which doesnt make sense in our antispam service (as we set quarantine to 0 points and access mode per account so user should choose inteligent antispam OR quarantine).

2) The way HC treats Mail plans is strange for me. Other panels dont do it this way. Its hard for us because nowadays most resellers here offer everything unlimited, even emails, and only charge user based on disk space and bandwidth, usually disk space is bound to email services also, which is not the case with HC + Merak.

Anyways, in HC we have MAIL DOMAINS and Accounts per mail domains. So users (and we) get confused. If you set for example as hcadmin a plan for a reseller and define that he has 3 mail domains and 50 accounts per mail domain, from what I tested, it really means the reseller has 150 accounts that he can use in any way he wants, there's no need for example for each mail domain to have a specific # of accounts, one web admin plan could have 120 accounts... So its really confusing IMHO, in the end its really just the # of accounts a reseller can create... But you HAVE to limit the # of mail domains he can create.

3) Mailing lists - HC now lets Merak users create Mailing lists. The big problem is one user could do spam, create a mailing list with thousands of email addresses. There should be a way to be able to disable this feature (I simply renamed the file HC calls when someone clicks button to show mailing lists).

The way it is in Merak, mailing lists are accounts and count in the # of accounts. So if I have a plan with 15 email addresses, user can create 15 mailing lists.

In the future HC could consider a way to have better control. Merak does have an option to define max members per list. But would be really nice when they separate mailing lists from accounts, as something separate, as usually ISPs charge mailing lists separately, according to # of mails sent out.

Thanks,
Flavio

8 Replies Related Threads

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Icewarp Merak x HC 7 (Please Merak users, comment) 2008/10/30 08:05:01 (permalink)
    We are observing this thread and as soon as we have any update from developers we will let you know.

+1-213-341-1419
    FL-ex
    Premium Member
    RE: Icewarp Merak x HC 7 (Please Merak users, comment) 2008/10/31 13:26:11 (permalink)
    Thanks very much. Maybe other IceWarp users can comment, but I think if these issues were addressed would be great, overall the templates issue.

About #2, am I analysing correctly? Please comment.

regards,
    Flávio
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Icewarp Merak x HC 7 (Please Merak users, comment) 2008/03/11 05:08:31 (permalink)
    ) HC does not recognize Meraks Template default feature, where we can define a default for new accounts (template account default), so it comes with certain services on, limits, etc. For me its a big problem, as the account HC creates comes with antispam and quarantine on, which doesnt make sense in our antispam service (as we set quarantine to 0 points and access mode per account so user should choose inteligent antispam OR quarantine).

This feature is already included in to-do list but can not give any ETA for it.

2) The way HC treats Mail plans is strange for me. Other panels dont do it this way. Its hard for us because nowadays most resellers here offer everything unlimited, even emails, and only charge user based on disk space and bandwidth, usually disk space is bound to email services also, which is not the case with HC + Merak.

Anyways, in HC we have MAIL DOMAINS and Accounts per mail domains. So users (and we) get confused. If you set for example as hcadmin a plan for a reseller and define that he has 3 mail domains and 50 accounts per mail domain, from what I tested, it really means the reseller has 150 accounts that he can use in any way he wants, there's no need for example for each mail domain to have a specific # of accounts, one web admin plan could have 120 accounts... So its really confusing IMHO, in the end its really just the # of accounts a reseller can create... But you HAVE to limit the # of mail domains he can create.

In above case HC will not allow user to create more than 50 mail boxes per mail domain. In upcoming build host could set any disk space for mail boxes created through HC.

3) Mailing lists - HC now lets Merak users create Mailing lists. The big problem is one user could do spam, create a mailing list with thousands of email addresses. There should be a way to be able to disable this feature (I simply renamed the file HC calls when someone clicks button to show mailing lists).

The way it is in Merak, mailing lists are accounts and count in the # of accounts. So if I have a plan with 15 email addresses, user can create 15 mailing lists.

In upcoming build host could set the quota for 'Email lists' resource and users would not be able to create mailling lists more than allocated in sold plans. We have forwarded your comments regarding the disable of mailing lists feature to the concerned dept.

In the future HC could consider a way to have better control. Merak does have an option to define max members per list. But would be really nice when they separate mailing lists from accounts, as something separate, as usually ISPs charge mailing lists separately, according to # of mails sent out.

+1-213-341-1419
    FL-ex
    Premium Member
    RE: Icewarp Merak x HC 7 (Please Merak users, comment) 2008/04/11 17:15:35 (permalink)
    Thank you.

regards,
    Flávio
    FL-ex
    Premium Member
    RE: Icewarp Merak x HC 7 (Please Merak users, comment) 2009/02/14 02:43:23 (permalink)
    Dear Sir,

Any news on the 3 items from my previous post?

Its very important for us.

Thanks,
    Flavio
    FL-ex
    Premium Member
    RE: Icewarp Merak x HC 7 (Please Merak users, comment) 2009/11/06 13:33:26 (permalink)
    I do like HC and support is very helpful.

However...

Just to keep registered here. The promises are now being denied. HC clearly states to me Exchange, BES, etc are more important for them and other products and the feature which was promised will not be done anymore.

At least were happy we have many customers and very huge companies who are doing the exact contrary, moving from Exchange to IceWarp.

I really feel this is unfair.

Flavio
    panikhaa987
    RE: Icewarp Merak x HC 7 (Please Merak users, comment) 2009/11/23 12:57:05 (permalink)
    The way HC treats Mail plans is strange for me. Other panels dont do it this way. Its hard for us because nowadays most resellers here offer everything unlimited, even emails, and only charge user based on disk space and bandwidth, usually disk space is bound to email services also, which is not the case with HC + Merak.

instyler

HC Staff
    HC Staff
    RE: Icewarp Merak x HC 7 (Please Merak users, comment) 2009/11/24 22:49:08 (permalink)
    panikhaa987

The way HC treats Mail plans is strange for me. Other panels dont do it this way. Its hard for us because nowadays most resellers here offer everything unlimited, even emails, and only charge user based on disk space and bandwidth, usually disk space is bound to email services also, which is not the case with HC + Merak.

We have accumulative quota at reseller level. Whatever is sold to a reseller, its used as a whole package. We are going to implement same scenario for webadmin level too in build6.  Means whatever is sold to a webadmin; he should be allowed to use it as he like. This will solve many of the confusions which webadmin face at his level including mail domain quota.
    Jump to: