LockedSeveral issues with Linux Installation on CentOS 5.4

Author
oakleeman
2010/05/09 18:55:50 (permalink)

Several issues with Linux Installation on CentOS 5.4

Primary server is Server 2003 & SQL 2008 used for webhosting & SQL databases. Trying to use a CentOS server for Linux hosting, MySQL databases, & DNS. Have been migrating all of our current customers and sites to the primary server but didn't setup DNS for the sites.

Since the HC site really doesn't provide descent documentation on setting up a Linux server I followed the directions here except for setting up Postfix: http://www.howtoforge.com...5.4-x86_64-ispconfig-2

I installed HC Linux following the directions they do provide and added the server to the cluster at the primary server. I enabled DNS, MySQL, & web server.

DNS: Was unable to find the "Option to import Mail/DNS in Linux panel" for importing DNS. Was unable to add/edit DNS to any of the websites that was already on the primary server. Added a new website to the server and saw a new DNS record was created and added to the tblDNSServer table. Manually added the DNS entries to the database and am now able edit the records from within the control panel. So where is the import for DNS?

MySQL: Unable to add the MySQL server: "Error occurred while connecting to the database!". Have verified numerous times that the settings are correct and am able to connect from my laptop using MySQL administrator. Am unable to add/import any databases.

Hosting Plans: Am unable to sell any Linux plans to current webadmins. Have to create a new webadmin.

Parked Domains: When adding a parked domain, the first letter of the domain is missing from the ServerAlias variable. If you delete the parked domain the www.domain is deleted but not the domain itself. If you add the parked domain again neither is added the the ServerAlias variable. Deleting the parked domain deletes everything from the ServerAlias variable. 

post edited by oakleeman - 2010/05/09 19:03:06

13 Replies Related Threads

oakleeman
    Re:Several issues with Linux Installation on CentOS 5.4 2010/05/12 07:59:25 (permalink)
    I e-mailed the above to HC support and this was their reply:

(DNS)
    ***** The Import for DNS zone works provided that you have configured the DNS Server in HC panel and for the website which you are about to import in HC panel there should exist the DNS zone in the DNS Server. DNS only import is not available in HC panel.

(MySQL)
    ***** Importing of Databases both MySQL and MSSQL works fine. Make it sure that your root user password is properly given at Server Manager :: Edit Server :: Database Server from host level in HC panel.

(Unable to sell plans)
    ***** For webadmins are created on specific server therefore for any webadmin which is created on Linux Server you would not be able to sell him Windows plan and vice versa.

(Parked Domains)
    ***** kindly open separate ticket for this issue because of the Support policy we are bound to entertain each issue in separate ticket so as to keep clear history of any issue of the client. This is for our client's benefit as it enables us to keep record of their issues."
    oakleeman
    Re:Several issues with Linux Installation on CentOS 5.4 2010/05/12 08:05:30 (permalink)
    I e-mailed them back telling them that I was putting in the correct MySQL password.

They replied:

"This issue normally appears when root user has not enough privileges. Kindly follow this kB article, in order to resolve MySQL database issue:

http://portal.hostingcontroller.com/KB/a44/how-to-fix-mysql-db-creation-issue-in-hc-linux.aspx"
    oakleeman
    Re:Several issues with Linux Installation on CentOS 5.4 2010/05/12 08:08:10 (permalink)
    I sent them screenshots showing that I was able to connect to the MySQL server as root from MySQL Administrator on my laptop, that root had all permissions from any workstation, and the settings and error message from within HC.

Their reply:
    "Kindly send us your HC panel access (host level) and SSH (root) access for your Linux machines where MySQL is installed to further investigate your issue. Also send us MySQL root password too..."
    oakleeman
    Re:Several issues with Linux Installation on CentOS 5.4 2010/05/12 08:10:02 (permalink)
    I sent them an e-mail saying that they could not have unmonitored unrestricted access to our servers but that we would be willing to do a go2meeting or monitored remote desktop session. Am awaiting their reply.
    mackdav
    Re:Several issues with Linux Installation on CentOS 5.4 2010/05/12 11:00:25 (permalink)
    I am having the same problem with the database creation.  HC8, CentOS 5.4 (current RPMs as of last Wednesday).
    mackdav
    Re:Several issues with Linux Installation on CentOS 5.4 2010/05/12 11:35:13 (permalink)
    After some digging around, I found this tech note: support.hostingcontroller.com/index.php?action=kb&article=290 (add the http prefix, the bboard is eating my links.)

Where it says:"# grant all privileges on *.* to identified by ‘root-password’ with grant option;"

"server-ip" should be interpreted as the IP of the server hosting the database, NOT the control panel.

After making this change, I can create a database instance on my linux server.
    This could be clearer (and indeed, present in the configuration documentation).
    post edited by mackdav - 2010/05/12 11:39:37
    mackdav
    Re:Several issues with Linux Installation on CentOS 5.4 2010/05/12 11:37:48 (permalink)
    ...not enjoying the forum software right now I'm not.
    post edited by mackdav - 2010/05/12 11:39:01
    oakleeman
    Re:Several issues with Linux Installation on CentOS 5.4 2010/05/13 10:20:44 (permalink)
    Their response:

"Yes we can remote session with you but first we will check our schedule and secondly such level support wouldn't come in free support scope. For doing mutual remote session will cost you $75 per hour.

Regarding, Are you able to create new mysql db ? as in previous email screenshot I can see you trying to import db where it doesn't show existing database. Can you please simplify your query."

oakleeman
    Re:Several issues with Linux Installation on CentOS 5.4 2010/05/13 10:26:26 (permalink)
    I am able to create a new database as a reseller and have confirmed that the database actually gets created. When I do a connectivity test it says that it connects successfully. However I am still unable to import databases and it still reports an error while connecting to the database when I am editing the server in server manager.

I go ahead and do the MySQL command that is seen at the KB article:

mysql> grant all privileges on *.* to root@192.168.***.*** identified by 'myrootpassword' with grant option;
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

Afterwards from the server manager I get: "Error occurred while connecting to the database!"
    post edited by oakleeman - 2010/05/13 10:33:50
    renhack
    Re:Several issues with Linux Installation on CentOS 5.4 2010/05/21 06:25:44 (permalink)
    Hey oakleeman.   I have absolutely no assistance to offer you but....   Just wanted to say thanks for documenting the process on this.   Too many people post issues and don't follow up with the resolutions.

I'm in the last stage of building our cluster.  Mixed windows environment with centOS bind servers (which are working great)   I still haven't built the centOS apache or mysql servers.  By monday I may be in the same situation as you.
    oakleeman
    Re:Several issues with Linux Installation on CentOS 5.4 2010/05/24 23:19:41 (permalink)
    Still finding more and more problems with the Linux install on CentOS.

The httpd.conf pretty much gets stripped of everything below the Section 2 header and replaced with HC code. This resulted in .jpg and html files not being properly displayed. I've sort of having it working again but not everything is working like it should with a fresh install.

post edited by oakleeman - 2010/05/25 07:27:10
    George30
    Re:Several issues with Linux Installation on CentOS 5.4 2010/08/26 19:59:28 (permalink)
    hi..
    i have some problem also..
    anyone can help....
    thanks and have a nice day..

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    Re:Several issues with Linux Installation on CentOS 5.4 2010/08/27 10:23:08 (permalink)
    George30

hi..
    i have some problem also..
    anyone can help....
    thanks and have a nice day..

Please can you explain your problem in detail so we could provide you a solution for it.
    Jump to: