LockedHC naming conventions comply with W3C standards

Author
ikasp
2011/02/27 23:30:01 (permalink)

HC naming conventions comply with W3C standards

We cant add a domain to Windows HC8. We get the following error message:
===========================================================
Your request format is invalid. It contains some potentially dangerous or in valid characters like ";,',--" etc.
===========================================================
The domain name is a regular ace encoded name (xn--.....), the domain is registered.
From HC support we get a rather strange reply:

> There are two "-"  ( no quotes ) for the website name xn--fxxxxx-7ib.se which is not allowed. HC naming conventions comply with  W3C standards.
I dont follow this at all. What W3C standards are HC comply with that does not allow ace encoded domain names?
Btw we host thousands of ace encoded domains with cPanel.
Ticket Number 203-14FD823C-A7E0

13 Replies Related Threads

agermose
    Re:HC naming conventions comply with W3C standards 2011/02/28 01:07:24 (permalink)
    its been what 5 years since even Microsoft came to understand and support IDN names in IE7 - maybe one day HC ...

Example. You can enter both pmjtræ.dk and xn--pmjtr-wra.dk in HC and HC support thinks pmjtræ.dk is the correct to enter, just this will not work for most services.

in HC the most workable is to use the xn--pmjtr-wra.dk format. This works with all services but breaks the HC webadmin so you will have to go to IIS manager and remove the host header alias and restart the webadmin (guess this might depend on how you setup the user specific controlpanel URL - we are using the out of the box setting).

Of cause there are places in the HC webadmin where you will get errors also.Like if you search for "xn--" in the domain list to get the domains that are encoded like this. This will prompt you with an error saying its not a valid domain format.
    But it will create the services (for the services we are using and testing - iis7, apache, simpledns, mailenable).

Of cause the user experience is completly corrupted especially if you are a webmail user.
    HC Staff
    HC Staff
    Re:HC naming conventions comply with W3C standards 2011/02/28 06:50:25 (permalink)
    Yes currently few special characters don't allow by HC control panel in the website field, but we will consider this as a feature request for future HC release.
    ikasp
    Re:HC naming conventions comply with W3C standards 2011/02/28 08:38:43 (permalink)
    Now I got the famous reply:
    > However we have forwarded this suggestion to our developer and will let you know the update.
    I dont understand why I first get the clueless answer about W3C compliance, and the next standard answer about escalation to the developer. Why not simply just try to understand the problem and then solve it.
    The problem is that IIS 7 requires the 8bit version of IDN names. It is not possible to create a ACE domain website with IIS 7.
    It is possible to create the IDN domain website using HC. The IIS site is setup properly, but HC does not setup DNS and the mail account properly. HC sets up a DNS zone with the IDN name. BIND does not support that, BIND needs the ACE domain. HC tries to create a 8 bit maildomain in SmarterMail. Same as BIND, SmarterMail requires the ACE domain name.

More than half a year ago HC told us this was to be solved in build 9. Has it been solved?

Yes currently few special characters don't allow by HC control panel in the website field, but we will consider this as a feature request for future HC release.

I dont understand that reply at all. Consider what? It is just about to support IDN in a generic way, its not about "few special characters"

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    Re:HC naming conventions comply with W3C standards 2011/03/01 02:15:48 (permalink)
    xn--frisrgruppen-7ib.se is corresponding punny code of domain name "frisörgruppen.se". So, client should not try to add the website in HC panel with the name = xn--frisrgruppen-7ib.se instead he should add it with the name = frisörgruppen.se. Please refer to the article given below for Punny code and IDN:
    http://www.idnnews.com/?p=8760

For detail how to add IDN domains in HC panel consult with this kb http://portal.hostingcontroller.com/KB/a198/how-to-add-idn-domain-in-the-hc-panel.aspx
    ikasp
    Re:HC naming conventions comply with W3C standards 2011/03/02 00:01:44 (permalink)
    Why did I not get this reply from the very beginning?

Website and DNS zone are created properly now. However the maildomain fails:

Error : 70701172 : Website created successfully; error occurred while creating Mail Domain.

We hare using SMarterMail.

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    Re:HC naming conventions comply with W3C standards 2011/03/02 00:16:50 (permalink)
    Please continue discussion for this issue with support department where you have already a open ticket for it.
    agermose
    Re:HC naming conventions comply with W3C standards 2011/03/02 00:19:22 (permalink)
    probably they did not know and the last message you got about it beeing forwarded resulted in the KB article - I see it was written yesterday :) Just not tested or completly working it seams.

I will give it a try during the weekend if we try to upgrade to build 10 and see how its doing with mailenable.

When You say it works for websites - this is on IIS or apache?

ikasp
    Re:HC naming conventions comply with W3C standards 2011/03/02 00:37:24 (permalink)
    This is relevant for IIS.

I assume (Win) apache, just like on Unix apache, works with the ACE encoded name and hence this mess does not occur.

ikasp
    Re:HC naming conventions comply with W3C standards 2011/03/02 00:40:58 (permalink)
    HC Team

Please continue discussion for this issue with support department where you have already a open ticket for it.

I am more than happy to continue this issue through the support ticket, but I would like you to answer,  in this thread,  the question "Why did I not get this reply from the very beginning?".

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    Re:HC naming conventions comply with W3C standards 2011/03/02 01:40:07 (permalink)
    In first post we have mentioned that we don' t support to create domain include " -- ".
    But in second post we explain that how you can use to create IDN domain and sent you the detail instructions. 

patrick
    Premium Member
    Re:HC naming conventions comply with W3C standards 2011/03/02 01:55:39 (permalink)
    HC Team

xn--frisrgruppen-7ib.se is corresponding punny code of domain name "frisörgruppen.se". So, client should not try to add the website in HC panel with the name = xn--frisrgruppen-7ib.se instead he should add it with the name = frisörgruppen.se. Please refer to the article given below for Punny code and IDN:
    http://www.idnnews.com/?p=8760

For detail how to add IDN domains in HC panel consult with this kb http://portal.hostingcontroller.com/KB/a198/how-to-add-idn-domain-in-the-hc-panel.aspx

I wasn't knew that we can create Idn domain name in HC panel, very helpful document. Thanks
    ikasp
    Re:HC naming conventions comply with W3C standards 2011/03/05 01:07:16 (permalink)
    HC Team

In first post we have mentioned that we don' t support to create domain include " -- ".
    But in second post we explain that how you can use to create IDN domain and sent you the detail instructions. 

The first reply we got was
    HC Ticket
    There are two "-"  ( no quotes ) for the website name xn--frisrgruppen-7ib.se which is not allowed. HC naming conventions comply with  W3C standards.

You claim it is not possible to add the domain because the domain is not according to W3C standards, but HC is. This is wrong and it is a lye. What your support is aiming for is just to close the ticket and get rid of me.

Next response we got is an answer we have seen before. It seems to be a C&P answer with the only aim to get rid of the customer and close the ticket.
    HC Ticket
    I am sorry this is currently not possible with HC. However we have forwarded this suggestion to our developer and will let you know the update.

We have got these answers before and rarely there is any follow-up from you afterwards.

Your first line support does not seem to put any efforts in to really understand the problem that has been submitted. Rather they spend their energy to try to close the tickets as fast as possible.

Your first line support does not add any value. On the contrary, they waste customer’s time and energy. Imo you should consider your support structure. Your first line support is more than useless.

HC Staff
    HC Staff
    Re:HC naming conventions comply with W3C standards 2011/03/05 01:27:15 (permalink)
    There were some confusion in the beginning but all has been explained in detail to you. If you have any further queries about it then feel free to contact support channel.
    Jump to: