LockedIIS Password alternatives on Win 2k8 x64?

Author
FL-ex
Premium Member
2011/07/01 12:21:30 (permalink)

IIS Password alternatives on Win 2k8 x64?

Hi, everyone

I was told IIS Password doenst work anymore on win 2k8 x64.

Has anyone found any alternative? Those that upgraded simply the users that were using IIS pwd, I imagine it stopped working...

Maybe something can be done with normal authentication of windows?

I did a quick search found these

http://community.aspnix.c...on-services-7-0-a.html

http://www.dotnetprotect.com/

Thanks!
post edited by Luca2 - 2011/07/01 12:27:55

13 Replies Related Threads

patrick
    Premium Member
    Re:IIS Password alternatives on Win 2k8 x64? 2011/07/02 20:54:11 (permalink)
    You can create a virtual directory from panel and disable the anonymous user access this is the alternative option for password protected directory.
    FL-ex
    Premium Member
    Re:IIS Password alternatives on Win 2k8 x64? 2011/07/04 18:58:11 (permalink)
    Good idea :) Thanks.

Maybe HC can create a feature in similar way...?

rahul
    Re:IIS Password alternatives on Win 2k8 x64? 2011/07/13 06:35:16 (permalink)
    f I remember correctly, IIS7 provides that functionality out of the box (the ability to secure folders with just a text file). Therefore, there should not be a need to configure IISPassword in the IIS7 module/provider as it probably does not use it.

Re:IIS Password alternatives on Win 2k8 x64? 2011/07/13 11:25:52 (permalink)
    rahul

f I remember correctly, IIS7 provides that functionality out of the box (the ability to secure folders with just a text file). Therefore, there should not be a need to configure IISPassword in the IIS7 module/provider as it probably does not use it.

Where is this option and how to use it ?
    Carla22
    Re:IIS Password alternatives on Win 2k8 x64? 2011/07/20 09:24:36 (permalink)
    You can create a virtual directory from panel and disable the anonymous user access this is the alternative option for password protected directory.
    Verry good idea of your's !!thank;s
    Carla

post edited by Carla22 - 2011/07/20 09:26:52
    FL-ex
    Premium Member
    Re:IIS Password alternatives on Win 2k8 x64? 2011/07/20 13:45:27 (permalink)
    Hi,

But in this case, the user and pwd is the control panel's user and pwd, correct?

If user wants a different user x pwd he has to define it in HC users?

Thanks.
    FL-ex
    Premium Member
    Re:IIS Password alternatives on Win 2k8 x64? 2011/11/02 12:00:21 (permalink)
    Anyone, any ideas? :)

Thanks.
    FL-ex
    Premium Member
    Re:IIS Password alternatives on Win 2k8 x64? 2012/07/30 12:21:49 (permalink)
    Dear HC,

Cant maybe something be done (HC interface) using normal system (NTFS) permissions? To let users pwd protect directories?

Also found this, but havent tested: https://community.aspnix....on-services-7-0-a.html

Thanks
    HC Staff
    HC Staff
    Re:IIS Password alternatives on Win 2k8 x64? 2012/08/02 10:33:54 (permalink)
    We support IISPassword and IISGuard to make password protected folders but both of these 2 application are no longer compatible with x64 machine.
    We can remove these two from Panel and change the Protected directory implementation as defined in following link, its currently under review by concern department and final decision will be made soon.
    http://support.discountasp.net/KB/a398/password-protecting-directories-in-iis-7.aspx
    Index_eBusiness
    Starting Member
    Re:IIS Password alternatives on Win 2k8 x64? 2012/08/02 19:12:51 (permalink)
    Hi
    We are currently in the process of migrating from WebSitePanel to HC and with WSP we used to use Helicon APE.

Helicon APE is an excellent replacement for IISPassword and more. It allows Linux people to keep their precious .htaccess or .htpasswd files and simply upload these to the IIS web server and they work.

If HC already has support for IISPassword then they are 99% there as the file format is the same I believe.
    Yes you have to purchase a license for Helicon but I am sure HC could liaise and get some control panel discount that they could pass onto us.

Check it out here

We love it!
    Regards
    Mark Donne

FL-ex
    Premium Member
    Re:IIS Password alternatives on Win 2k8 x64? 2012/08/06 09:51:30 (permalink)
    Hi, Mark

Thanks for tip. I do have their other product, ISAPI Rewrite, I cant protect directories with pwds using it, can I?

Thanks!
    Index_eBusiness
    Starting Member
    Re:IIS Password alternatives on Win 2k8 x64? 2012/08/06 09:55:22 (permalink)
    Your welcome.

Unfortunetly ISAPI rewrite is just for the .htaccess file it does not support the .htpasswd file.

FL-ex
    Premium Member
    Re:IIS Password alternatives on Win 2k8 x64? 2012/08/06 13:57:59 (permalink)
    Hi, friend

Thanks for quick reply. Ill consider upgrading then to APE in the near future :)

Perhaps HC can however do something with normal NTFS permissions. Or as you said, a partnership with APE, would be neat if they had a lite version, would surely give them a lot of visability and HC I believe would really consider integration.

Thanks.
    Jump to: