Author
Index_eBusiness
Starting Member
2012/10/23 09:58:51 (permalink)

Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions

Server: Microsoft Windows Web Server 2008 R2
PHP: FastCGI PHP v5.3
HC Version: 9 build 3

I have just tried to install Wordpress to a virtual folder but when I visit the website I get this error
"Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions"

I have had a look at the IIS configuration and the virtual folder has different settings than the parent.
Parent (which works):
Basic Setting -> Connect As = Specific User "mydomain_Web" user account
Virtual Folder (which does not work):
Basic Setting -> Connect As = Application User (pass-through authentication)

If I click "Test Settings" it works for the Parent but the virtual path gives an error
"Invalid application path"

Why isn't this working?  Dare I say the word "bug" again?

Regards
Mark Donne

7 Replies Related Threads

Index_eBusiness
    Starting Member
    Re:Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions 2012/10/23 10:02:07 (permalink)
    Oh, and just to add to this, the virtual folder "Stats" has exactly the same problem. Errors out and has the same Basic Setting -> Connect As = Application User (pass-through authentication)
    Xavier
    Re:Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions 2012/10/23 20:34:42 (permalink)
    For click apps PHP Fast CGI is not the recommended version of PHP. I know HC Team would also suggest you about using another version. You can discuss it with them by creating a ticket about it.

For Stats, which stats server are you using on your machine? THis would help to discuss in detail about the Stats issue.
    Index_eBusiness
    Starting Member
    Re:Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions 2012/10/23 20:39:45 (permalink)
    Hi Xavier,

Thanks or replying.

The Stats is just the built in one supplied by HC. I believe it is a perl based system.

I am able fix both the Stats and the Wordpress install by manually updating the connect as setting but this should be set correctly by HC when it creates the virtual folders.
    post edited by Index_eBusiness - 2012/10/23 20:41:28
    HC Staff
    HC Staff
    Re:Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions 2012/10/24 06:30:29 (permalink)
    Stats virtual directory creates under application pool " DefaultAppPool " and it will connect using Application Pool Identity. We have tested and confirm locally that it is not creating any problem. 
    Secondly, it would be better that HC creates all virtual directories with same pool under which a website is running (dedicated pool). This will be implemented in any of upcoming modified build installer.

Also I would like to mention that with click apps we recommend PHP version 5.2 it is listed in this Article. FasstCGI is not currently support in the HC Panel as well as PHP ver 5.3 is not yet been tested & approved with click apps list.
    Index_eBusiness
    Starting Member
    Re:Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions 2012/10/24 07:53:03 (permalink)
    In your test setup how is your DefaultAppPool configured?

All I know is that the folder was created by HC, the website was created by HC, the permissions were set by HC and it doesn't work.

If you could outline the setup of your Application Pool then maybe we can get to the bottom of this.
    HC Staff
    HC Staff
    Re:Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions 2012/10/24 10:36:39 (permalink)
    Its the default setting , no custom changes

OS = Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Standard  x64
    Application Pool = DefaultAppPool
    .Net FrameWork = 2.0
    Manage Pipeline Mode = Integrated
    Identity = ApplicationPoolIdentity
    Index_eBusiness
    Starting Member
    Re:Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions 2012/10/24 11:11:07 (permalink)
    Ours has exactly the same setup as yours.

Is anybody else having as problem with this because it can't just be us.
    Jump to: