LockedDo you use Gene6 FTP? Sad news, support out of order...

Author
FL-ex
Premium Member
2012/12/19 16:31:20 (permalink)

Do you use Gene6 FTP? Sad news, support out of order...

Hi, everyone

So sad, we used Serv-U, now we moved to Gene6 and as per their forum where other customers complain, its almost impossible to get a response from their support team.

Does anyone know whats going on?  

See: http://www.g6ftpserver.co..._pid__20799#entry20799

HC, any chance you can try contact with them, as they are supported software and I guess the last remaining decent FTP server supported by HC?

I had some vulnerabilities I needed to ask them about, but they simply ignore emails, a few months ago after a lot of insistance, I got reply from Mathieu...

It would be nice for them to really decide, if they will remain in the market or not, answer their customers or not...

So sad, as its such nice software.

Thanks,
Flavio

8 Replies Related Threads

grindkore
    Re:Do you use Gene6 FTP? Sad news, support out of order... 2012/12/27 22:59:08 (permalink)
    Sad indeed, we have many servers with G6FTP. The hosting controller needs to add support fot FileZilla FTP server, it's very robust and open source. 
    FL-ex
    Premium Member
    Re:Do you use Gene6 FTP? Sad news, support out of order... 2012/12/28 07:42:05 (permalink)
    Hi,

Yes, very sad. What is also sad is they continue selling it. So very hard to get any support/replies, but they still sell it. Similar to the defunct ASPMAIL from serverobjects. They dont support anyone, its not even 64 bit, but they still try to make $ out of it.

really sad.

HC, can you help try to contact Gene6 as its one of the supported SW for HC to give customers some feedback so we decide what to do?

Thanks
    AdamSmith
    Re:Do you use Gene6 FTP? Sad news, support out of order... 2012/12/29 04:47:17 (permalink)
    Hi,

Well, I really don't know why they have stopped working on Gene6, although it was one of the best FTP servers available in the market. I heard some rumors related to Matthieu and Gene6 project few months back, but can not find any authenticated source for it. I guess no one here is able to get Gene6 support.

Adam Smith
    HC Staff
    HC Staff
    Re:Do you use Gene6 FTP? Sad news, support out of order... 2012/12/31 07:53:53 (permalink)
    If HC customers are getting trouble in receiving support from Gene6 FTP Server then as per your request we will look for alternative options. I will discuss internally with concern department to integrate for Filezilla FTP Server.
    If they accept the request then very soon it will be available in any upcoming HC9 build.
    AdamSmith
    Re:Do you use Gene6 FTP? Sad news, support out of order... 2012/12/31 08:06:42 (permalink)
    Hi,

That is so great, really. Glad to see that HC is always concerned about its customers, and their satisfaction.

Adam Smith
    FL-ex
    Premium Member
    Re:Do you use Gene6 FTP? Sad news, support out of order... 2013/01/02 07:59:01 (permalink)
    Hi,

Yes, very nice of HC, but if at all possible would appreciate if HC try a contact with Gene6, since its supported software. Question author if he has any explanation to whats going on.

Its not that easy for some of us who have invested in gene6 to switch to another solution (perhaps HC can have some conversion script)...

Thanks again.
    kiamori
    Starting Member
    Re:Do you use Gene6 FTP? Sad news, support out of order... 2013/01/13 17:17:35 (permalink)
    I will also request that FileZilla or another FTP server be added to the mix. MSFTP is limited and Serv-U is way overpriced for its features.

Some good FTP servers would be as follows:
     Cerberus FTP Server
     FileZilla
     WSFTP( a bit overpriced)

Here is a good feature chart:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FTP_server_software#Summary_board

Another option would be for HC to make their own FTP service, it's quite simple and not much for competition. Would be nice to see a built in option rather than trying to integrate with third party software.
    post edited by kiamori - 2013/01/13 17:19:28
    FL-ex
    Premium Member
    Re:Do you use Gene6 FTP? Sad news, support out of order... 2013/03/12 10:35:13 (permalink)
    Guys,

So I talked to HC about this via ticketing system, they told me they will provide integration with Filezilla.

The only thing I didnt like too much is I was told they will NOT make a script to migrate from Gene6 to Filezilla. So how are we admins supposed to migrate? :) anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

PS - Gene6 has a few serious issues, wont get into details here for obvious reasons, if youre interested, pls PM me. Now that its dead, whoever uses it, might wanna consider replacing it...
    Jump to: