LockedBackup HC when HC-DB is on a SQL server

Author
Zypher
2005/03/01 11:54:50 (permalink)

Backup HC when HC-DB is on a SQL server

How do I backup HC Database if it resides on a SQL server? i tried manual backup from inside SQL Server to a hc.bak file and an hc.mdb file adn put them into the folder MSSQL in the backup folder where RBX puts its files, i still get the error from RBX that it cannot find the HC database.

6 Replies Related Threads

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Backup HC when HC-DB is on a SQL server 2005/03/03 02:46:14 (permalink)
    Please make sure that in the HC settings you have MS-SQL set on remote with necessary connection information. Also, share the \Backup folder and provide it as UNC path in HC Settings. RBX then will start taking remote HC database backup.
    Genesis
    RE: Backup HC when HC-DB is on a SQL server 2006/05/13 08:38:00 (permalink)
    Dear HC,
    Could you be a bit MORE specific with the setup instructions?

We have HC on 2 machines. The Main machine has the HC db in a MS-SQL database. When RBX runs it backs up everything BUT there is NO database in the RBX folder.

What are the specific steps to ensure the MS-SQL HC database is properly backed up by RBX to the remote machine.

redbaran
    Premium Member
    RE: Backup HC when HC-DB is on a SQL server 2006/05/13 09:07:30 (permalink)
    If you are looking in the MSSQL folder you are not going to see the HC db backup. It is in the root of the backup folder. Should be named "hcver2002sql" if you used the default name.
    Genesis
    RE: Backup HC when HC-DB is on a SQL server 2006/05/13 09:22:59 (permalink)
    Thanks Redbarron,
    I was aware of that, but the file is not being created at all. I am looking at reply HC gave above, and I think I understand it, but this needs to be detailed a bit more methodically.

- Mat
    redbaran
    Premium Member
    RE: Backup HC when HC-DB is on a SQL server 2006/05/13 11:33:27 (permalink)
    Gotcha.

Well looks like there could be a issue with hf3.1 or the install proccess. I just looked at the backup logs for the last week since we installed hf3.1 and the customer db¬s where not getting backed up also. We where getting the hc db but no customers.

We where able to add, delete and backup the db¬s through the cp for the customers so we knew that the sql settings where fine but still no backups for customers through RBX.

Reapplied the sql settings in hc, reinstalled hf 3.1 again, looks to be working now.

I would be nice to get log errors like this in an email or something so we know that this is happening. ;)

The sql server is local for us.
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Backup HC when HC-DB is on a SQL server 2006/05/13 11:54:50 (permalink)
    Unfortunately RBX can not backup and restore HC Database on remote SQL Server but it has the ability to backup user SQL databases located on remote machine. There are some complexities involved in it and we will address them in HC v7.0. Here is some work around if you want to rebuild your server with HC database on remote SQL Server, first manually restore HC Database using SQL Server restore option and run RBX rebuild setup.
    Jump to: