LockedDNS Editing

Author
Dhosting.co.uk
Premium Member
2006/10/27 09:02:05 (permalink)

DNS Editing

Right just had another look at v7 :)

Anyways i notice we still have the old dns editor, any chance were going to see something different i.e. an interface which allows one dns addition at a time so add an mx record etc and only allow the user to alter one dns record at a time so change where a cname points for example?

www.Dwebs.ltd.uk - Web Design & Other Services
My views are my own and not those of my company.

14 Replies Related Threads

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: DNS Editing 2006/10/30 07:39:40 (permalink)
    Current editor is pretty simple and easy to use. Anyway I have forwarded your suggestion to concerned dept.

+1-213-341-1419
    Billy
    Starting Member
    RE: DNS Editing 2006/10/31 19:41:09 (permalink)
    It's for a Sysadmin, someone who knows something about DNS.. Not the average webadmin.. I wouldn't let any of my users touch the DNS system right now... If they muck around with it too much it could causes issues..
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: DNS Editing 2006/01/11 01:25:42 (permalink)
    Yes one should have sound skills to play with zone file. You can completly remove 'DNS Manager' menu option for your customers from My Server--->Menu Access.

+1-213-341-1419
    Billy
    Starting Member
    RE: DNS Editing 2006/01/11 13:22:24 (permalink)
    I don't use the DNS because it never worked correctly for me, no way to do templates.. and can't import existing DNS records into it.. (using BIND on linux)... I even purchased the secondary DNS addon for linux.. :( DNS control needs major work.
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: DNS Editing 2006/02/11 04:33:34 (permalink)
    It would be more convenient if you exactly list all of your suggestions about DNS integration in your post.

+1-213-341-1419
    Billy
    Starting Member
    RE: DNS Editing 2006/02/11 07:24:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by HC Support

It would be more convenient if you exactly list all of your suggestions about DNS integration in your post.

Okay, Here is my suggestions on the interface..

Pull Down with record type (NS,A,CNAME,MX,PTR,TXT) Default to A when you choose add (as it's the most common to add)
    Then For Using Style Sheets.. Display the following text boxes and fields for each record type hiding the other text boxes..

NS
    Domain name (just the hostname, no need to add the rest of the domain.. ie.. .domain.com is assumed)
    Nameserver (Complete Name)

A
    Domain name (just the hostname, no need to add the rest of the domain.. ie.. .domain.com is assumed)
    Ip Address

CNAME
    Canonical name

MX
    Mail Exchanger
    Pulldown for priority (0 to 50 in increments of 5)

PTR
    IP Address
    Pulldown with 8,16,24 for the CIDR Block beside IP address
    Domain Name (just the hostname, no need to add the rest of the domain.. ie.. .domain.com is assumed)

Give the ability then to edit or delete the records..

Then you need a option to edit the SOA Preferences

Text Boxes for the following
    TTL
    Refresh
    Retry
    Expire
    Minimum

Then out beside each text box a pull down with the following
    Seconds, Minutes, Hours, Days, Weeks as the pull down options

and Finially, a "Default" button to revert back to the "templated" DNS settings specified for the system and/or the paticurlar package.

and when any of the records are changed, added, or deleted, the system automaticly changes the serial number, using the standard format of yyyymmddxx (xx being the instance for that day)

Thanks, Billy
    kieranmullen
    Premium Member
    RE: DNS Editing 2006/02/11 09:17:21 (permalink)
    It sounds like everything that you can do in windows, except via the web. If one is adusting TTL then one should know how to edit the text file itself to achive the same results. We just need a dummed down version for clients to use. Most of them will not be changing serial or ttl, but they might be adding A records or MX records. perhaps adding a name server but really that and anything else is for expert use.

KM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Billy

quote:

Okay, Here is my suggestions on the interface..

Pull Down with record type (NS,A,CNAME,MX,PTR,TXT) Default to A when you choose add (as it's the most common to add)
    Then For Using Style Sheets.. Display the following text boxes and fields for each record type hiding the other text boxes..

NS
    Nameserver (Complete Name)

A
    Ip Address

CNAME
    Canonical name

MX
    Mail Exchanger
    Pulldown for priority (0 to 50 in increments of 5)

PTR
    IP Address
    Pulldown with 8,16,24 for the CIDR Block beside IP address
    Domain Name (just the hostname, no need to add the rest of the domain.. ie.. .domain.com is assumed)

Give the ability then to edit or delete the records..

Then you need a option to edit the SOA Preferences

Text Boxes for the following
    TTL
    Refresh
    Retry
    Expire
    Minimum

Then out beside each text box a pull down with the following
    Seconds, Minutes, Hours, Days, Weeks as the pull down options

and Finially, a "Default" button to revert back to the "templated" DNS settings specified for the system and/or the paticurlar package.

and when any of the records are changed, added, or deleted, the system automaticly changes the serial number, using the standard format of yyyymmddxx (xx being the instance for that day)

Thanks, Billy

KieranMullen
    Billy
    Starting Member
    RE: DNS Editing 2006/02/11 09:23:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kieranmullen

It sounds like everything that you can do in windows, except via the web. If one is adusting TTL then one should know how to edit the text file itself to achive the same results. We just need a dummed down version for clients to use. Most of them will not be changing serial or ttl, but they might be adding A records or MX records. perhaps adding a name server but really that and anything else is for expert use.

KM

What I described was exactly everything you can do in the Plesk Control Panel.. as for adjusting the SN, like I said, that's automatic.. no need to mess with it.. even for expert.. the TTL (SOA's) are under a separate button, and therefore could be given separate permissions.. But, sometimes, (even webdesigners) know that they need to drop the TTL down a few days before they change a IP address so it is propagated faster.. My point is.. everything else is wysiwyg or wizard driven, why the heck is one of the most complicated things to understand (DNS) not put into a GUI ??? and it's even a very SIMPLE GUI!
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: DNS Editing 2006/03/11 05:58:25 (permalink)
    We are monitoring this thread and will see if these features can be integrated with HC. Thanx for your feedback.

+1-213-341-1419
    emma
    RE: DNS Editing 2006/09/11 15:46:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Billy

quote:
    Originally posted by kieranmullen

KM

What I described was exactly everything you can do in the ***** Control Panel.. as for adjusting the SN, like I said, that's automatic.. no need to mess with it.. even for expert.. the TTL (SOA's) are under a separate button, and therefore could be given separate permissions.. But, sometimes, (even webdesigners) know that they need to drop the TTL down a few days before they change a IP address so it is propagated faster.. My point is.. everything else is wysiwyg or wizard driven, why the heck is one of the most complicated things to understand (DNS) not put into a GUI ??? and it's even a very SIMPLE GUI!

Absolutely agree. DNS editor needs a GUI. Countless times have I had to go and fix users zones because they didn't know what they were doing and completely corrupted their zone.
    Please implement

Billy
    Starting Member
    RE: DNS Editing 2006/11/13 16:26:33 (permalink)
    So HC, what's the chances we'll see this feature in the next Beta release of HC? or even in v7 for that matter...??
    HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: DNS Editing 2006/11/15 03:13:37 (permalink)
    Okay, we will provide some interface to handle DNS after the release of first HC7 version.

+1-213-341-1419
    Genesis
    RE: DNS Editing 2006/11/27 08:58:06 (permalink)

quote:
    [br]Okay, we will provide some interface to handle DNS after the release of first HC7 version.

Dear HC,
    We DO need the ability to let webadmin handle dns, even it it is a "turn on" setting that can be handled per domain. You may not think the end-user can handle dns, but many of our customers are quite familiar with dns settings. This is also similar to P****

Please also consider a "reset" button for DNS that would restore default settings (as assigned by that reseller or host) in case of failure.

Again, this text editing of DNS is at best THE REASON you don't want end-users to handle dns.....

*****************<BR>System Admin,<BR>Alphasites<BR>*******************
    crnunez
    Premium Member
    RE: DNS Editing 2006/12/15 15:26:53 (permalink)
    Hi,
    DNS needs an important improvement. Its a fact...

Bye.

RN
    Jump to: