LockedBackup - restore user accounts, dns, webdata,...

Author
aris
2007/01/19 01:25:35 (permalink)

Backup - restore user accounts, dns, webdata,...

Hi guys. I'm almoust a newbie at hostingcontroller but I'm learning fast.

I'am setting up web server (windows 2003) and will install HS7 and mailEnable (nod32 and spamassassin) and bind9.

I managed backing up:
1. windows users (I have a plain file with all windows users and passwords and i wrote program that uses net.exe to recreate all the users on a new system)
2. mailEnable (no problem - to backup just copy all the folders and files under MailEnable from install directory and save all the data from windows registry)
3. DNS bind9 (also no problem - just copy all the files from /named/etc/* and /named/zones/*)
4. www data (no problem - copy all the folders and files form www root folder)

Now I'm seeking for a solution to backup HC users, settings, database,... Is it possible just to backup folder and files of HC and then copy them back on a new system? Is there another way to manualy backup-restore? Is there a registry setting that needs backing up? Hsa anyone even tried it? There is also a question of backing up IIS data and windows ftp settings? Any good freeware stuff? Any sudgestions?

Tanks for all the answers...

Aris

-------------------------------------------------www.slohost.net webhosting and web design

5 Replies Related Threads

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Backup - restore user accounts, dns, webdata,... 2007/01/19 05:49:23 (permalink)
    We will provide such utility in near future which can automate all backup/restore operations related to HC. Currently you have to backup HC Database to restore HC USERS/Domains and other stuff on new machine. Please consult following articles for IIS and registry back/restore:

-Backing up and Restoring your IIS 6 Metabase
    -How to back up, edit, and restore the registry

+1-213-341-1419
    mdscorp
    Premium Member
    RE: Backup - restore user accounts, dns, webdata,... 2007/01/19 20:53:31 (permalink)
    ris, I am in the same boat, I have to take all the stuff under HC6 from older servers and migrate it to new servers in a new data cetner under HC7, anytools you can provide I will appreciate, let me know i we can talk.

thanks

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Backup - restore user accounts, dns, webdata,... 2007/01/20 07:38:17 (permalink)
    Luis, first you should use RBX to migrate your HC6 data to new server then you can upgrade your data to HC7.

+1-213-341-1419
    mdscorp
    Premium Member
    RE: Backup - restore user accounts, dns, webdata,... 2007/01/24 17:03:23 (permalink)
    currently I have all shared services in one server meaning even though I have up to HC servers , each server is running email,dns and web, when I migrate I want to migrate to separate servers, I want to have one box for web another one for email andotherone for dns etc... what do you suggest will be the right migration path ?

HC Team
    Hosting Controller
    RE: Backup - restore user accounts, dns, webdata,... 2007/01/25 11:31:50 (permalink)
    You have to simply create a cluster and add different machines with their designated roles but for upgrade to HC7 you must ensure that you have exactly the same configuration in HC7 as you have for HC6.

+1-213-341-1419
    Jump to: