LockedBest way for hhosting controller to setup a websit

Author
kieranmullen
Premium Member
2007/05/03 23:47:42 (permalink)

Best way for hhosting controller to setup a websit

SEO's suggest to concentrate your efforts on one site or the other

domain.com or www.domain.com since google treats them like separate sites?

So the best way according to them would be to setup 2 sites and redirect one to another with 301 redirects.

Has anyone else come across this?

Thank you

KieranMullen

KieranMullen

4 Replies Related Threads

Dhosting.co.uk
    Premium Member
    RE: Best way for hhosting controller to setup a websit 2007/06/03 04:35:12 (permalink)
    I dont see it making any difference.

Rather odd point that is!

www.Dwebs.ltd.uk - Web Design & Other Services
    My views are my own and not those of my company.
    crnunez
    Premium Member
    RE: Best way for hhosting controller to setup a websit 2007/06/03 08:18:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dhosting.co.uk
    [br]I dont see it making any difference.

Rather odd point that is!

I am agree with this comment, It is not relevant for apply in HC, each "SEO" should setup your websites with www. or without www or BOTH (the best and recommended option for compatibility and actually used by HC).

RN
    kieranmullen
    Premium Member
    RE: Best way for hhosting controller to setup a websit 2007/06/03 08:52:59 (permalink)
    Actually from webmasterworld I had a moderator reply. Reading into the forum on other posts it seems many of these guys know their stuff about search engines.

How does this matter to HC? - Well for anyone interested in being found by search engines, which is many people I believe.

What can be done to offer a solution? - Offer a simple checkbox to auto setup 2 sites instead of 1 with an auto redirect.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/website_technology/3272651.htm
    quote:
    > They are all wrong?

Yes, they are. Many sites have different content on example.com, www.example.com, mobile.example.com, dev.example.com etc.

For instance, example.com might be the private corporate intranet for use by employees only, www.example.com might be the public Web site, and mobile.example.com might be a site specifically designed for mobile users, while dev.example.com might be a development server for testing changes to the site prior to release.

It is very expensive in terms of processing power to determine that the contents of two domains are the same. And it can easily become impossible if the sites contain dynamically-generated content, because the search engine would then have to account for content that changes based on the time of access, the geographic location of the requesting IP address, etc. And consider the case of a site that uses the current time to load schedule or weather information -- Determining that the supposedly-same page accessed through two different URLs at even split-second intervals might be impossible, becaue it would require the search engine to request both URLs at exactly the same time, and the server to serve them at exactly the same time -- the latter requirement being physically impossible.

Also, if you depend on the search engines to sort things out, you depend on their having enough time in their processing cycle to compare your various domains and subdomains -- something which is not at all a sure thing.

For best results, you should control all aspects of your site, and not depend on others -- It's your site, not theirs, and therefore in your best interest to run a tight ship.

There are many threads on this site dealing with domain and page-name canonicalization -- Use the search function to find the ones that apply to your situation. The available methods will vary based upon your server type -- e.g. Apache or IIS -- so include that in your search terms.

Jim

KieranMullen
    kieranmullen
    Premium Member
    RE: Best way for hhosting controller to setup a websit 2007/06/03 12:20:20 (permalink)
    Its the same way with other control panels as well.

However again www.domain.com and domain.com load as www.domain.com and domain.com one does not get forwarded to another. So each is really treated like its own site and therefore the pagerank will be split between them.

You can also google dicusssions on the same topic as well.

KieranMullen

KieranMullen
    Jump to: