2005/12/29 20:29:08
Markrambis

Auto install scripts

Does anyone know if theres something like this http://www.netenberg.com/fantastico.php

for Windows/HC? Would be FANTASTIC to have this...

HC?

thanks...
5 comments Leave a comment
hgurol
This has been asked many times before, for a long time. Some calls it "Open Source Program Installer", some calls it "One Click Installer" and I call it "Application Pack" :)

Anyway, its obvious that it would be a too late to implement this feature for 6.1 but at least we would like to see a framework ready for 7.0 where it would easily allow those kind of scripts to be installed thru the HC panel.

I cant remember if HC confirmed that a foundational work will be done for the new version. Will you please remind us on this feature HC?

thx
2005/12/29 10:11:28
kieranmullen
One needs to decide if they are really an asset or a liability since all the packages need to be constantly updated when exploits are found and so you would be dependant on Hosting Controller to release a patch days or weeks after the patch has been released on the opensource website.

Think phpbb...

PS These forums are really out of date and do not work for for us the customers as there are no topic update notifications via email.
2005/12/30 14:03:30
hgurol
Most Control Panels are already providing similiar services for a time now and I have customers, customer nominees asking for it. Some asks for it even they dont plan to use it :) ...and I dont want to fall behind the competition.

Security, patch, exploit, fix etc. you have touched a very good point here. I havent thought about it earlier but we all know panels already providing these services for a long time with success today, dont we? How do they handle this? We are not investing something new; it should not be hard to follow thier method/approach for us and for HC in order to cover your points.

Besides; it would be an optional feature. After the implementation if you still think its an headache more then an assest, you can turn it off and disable anytime. And of course for those that thinks its an valuble addition to their business will keep it on.

I really dont see a big barrier with this. It all needs to be investigated, planned/designed and implemented carefully. And its where the professionalism of HC comes to stage.

right?
2005/12/30 14:54:58
HC Team
Thank you very much for your suggestion. We will check it and let you if that could be possible to integrate with coming HC v7.0 after its release. :)
2005/12/31 06:57:07
kieranmullen
I would much rather have bugs fixed than add new features.
But as you say this will be for version 7.0

KM

2006/04/01 20:29:08

Comments are closed.